3 cent microcontroller

Amazingly, there is such a thing as a microcontroller that goes for less than a dirt cheap logic IC

3 cents in volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAGnsnO7w

Cheers

Klaus

3 cent microcontroller
Dealer site:

https://lcsc.com/search?q=Microcontroller

Re: 3 cent microcontroller
Klaus Kragelund wrote...

 I found a critical Chinese part at LCSC, that's not available
 from the usual suppliers, for 30 cents each, and LCSC shipped
 100 pieces by some type of DHL service, for only $10, and they
 arrived in four days.  Awesome!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

If you are happy to go up to $0.30 rather than $0.03, then you can get
ARM Cortex-M0 parts from NXP and other more mainstream suppliers.

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

If I was able to go up, I could choose the Silabs EFM8BB1 or ATTiny, they both come in at about 15 US cents, half that of the Cortex M0+ devices

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

There is a vast difference in the quality of the cpu core between these
two chips and the M0, if that is important to you.

Since you also mentioned ASICs, Atmel (now owned by Microchip) will do
you ASICs with AVR cores in them.  But I imagine you know that already.

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

By quality, do you mean the Field Failure Rate of the die? I do not expect an ARM device with many more transistors to have less failure rate....

Cheers

Klaus

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

No, I mean whether your programmers will say "this is a nice core to
work with" (the M0), "this is a bit odd and inefficient for some things,
but not too bad" (the AVR core in the ATTiny), or "this is a hideous
monster and should have been strangled at birth some 30+ years ago" (the
8051 core in the EFM8BB1).

Of course, for a small enough program and high enough volume, no one
will listen to the programmers' complaints :-)

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

We have high volume, so the programmer can complain all he wants, HW rules

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

We have high volume, the programmers can complain all they want - in this case HW rules

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

It's noteworthy that you didn't even invoke the demon PIC12... :)

Clifford Heath.

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

Just be careful not to say its name three times in a row!

Klaus had given an ATTiny and an 8051 device as alternative choices for
cheap microcontrollers.  Maybe the PIC12 is more expensive than them -
or maybe he /does/ have some sympathy for his programmers after all :-)

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

That 12F has other virtues you do not so easily find in other micros:

;                                                wms-0.1.asm
;                                      Copyright (c) Jan Panteltje 2010-always.
;
; Temperature controller / thermostat replacement for Zanussi 913 washing machine.
; The original sensor has one make contact at 40 C that is in series with the mechanical timer clock, and one break contact at 90 C that is in series with the heating element.
; wms.asm for Microchip 12F629.
; From  Microchhip program: TSTAT2~1.ASM. modified for RS232 ASCII out and PIC 12F629.
; see Microchip application notes 00720c.pdf (temp sensor using watch dog timer), and 00510e.pdf (for software serial out).

Fixed old washing machine with it...

Not hard to program at all.

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

The quotes we have gotten for the PIC series were above the Silabs and ATTiny parts. So no need to push the PIC onto programmers :-)

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

I was looking for a uP small and dirt cheap enough to put in a
micro-server project where the enclosure will not be much larger than
the total size of a desktop PC Ethernet port's through-hole housing and
these seem to fit the bill exactly!

I bet there's not much chance of it going EOL soon by the look of things
either hundreds and hundreds of thousands available that is _remarkable_

Re: 3 cent microcontroller
bitrex wrote...

 Why does it have to be dirt cheap?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: 3 cent microcontroller
On 13 Oct 2018 10:26:26 -0700, Winfield Hill

For things like $1.00 toys I guess

Re: 3 cent microcontroller
https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Microprocessor-Microcontroller_Bojuxing-Industry-BJ8P509FNB_C83513.html

1kW OTP micro, 3 cents

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

The manufacturers homepage is http://www.bjxmcu.com

No update since 2016. Most of the press releases on their homepage
mention government incentives, so it seems doubtful that this ever has
been a functioning business.

Looks like they are defunct.

Re: 3 cent microcontroller

that was the joke, son. :|