Tomorrow's battery medium

This will change a lot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Fuel cells have been hype since 1838. Probably always will be.

"The team developed a new process that minimizes heat treatment and maximizes the production of Amp per hour..."

Amp per hour?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

"What's silly is than nobody here, except me so far, will even consider new ideas about internet security. Or new ideas about most anything.

Are my ideas stupid? Suggest something better. Playing around with ideas is how design happens.

I guess people who do have ideas haven't time for usenet."

Some people can't follow their own advice.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

You have to take climate change seriously - as opposed to gullibly swallowi ng denialist propaganda - to realise that serious money is getting interest ed in the hydrogen economy, which does depend on fuel cells.

Lots of people are playing around with techniques for getting cheaper elect rodes.

English language science journalists don't know enough about science to get units right. It's a bit rich when John Larkin - who doesn't know enough ab out science to know when he is being bamboozled by denialist pseudo-science - gets finicky about journalist's short-comings.

--
Bill Sloman, suydney
Reply to

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is Korea, you ignorant ditz. You cannot remember badly worded motherboard manuals, etc.?

Your claim of electrical engineering knowledge has been hype ever since you first made it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

There is hardware around that would have caught that hack if it ever got fired up. It is called cybersecurity and they analyze the power signature of a rack of gear and can detect a hack by detecting the change in the signature.

There are also state of the art true random number generators out there. My Xeon laptop I type this on has hardware level security features. But you'll likely deny they exist.

No. The fact that you are unaware of what is already in the channel is pretty stupid though. Makes you sound like SkyTard Flying.

Depending on whom is doing the playing.

More flawed logic.

You can't see the world unfold right in front of your face.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"The production of Amp per hour"??

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Misheard Ampere Hour ?

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

Google fuel cell breakthrough

About 6,940,000 results (0.33 seconds)

This goes back decades. None of the thousands of breakthroughs has evolved to a usable power source. But the press releases keep coming.

If the gadgets ever work, where is the hydrogen going to come from? How are we going to distribute and store it?

The best way to store hydrogen is to attach it to carbon.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

No, (hydrogen) fuel cells are hardware. Hype (hyperbole) is language style.

Hydrogen is not a common household item, but it's less dangerous than (for instance) acetylene or 'town gas'. Like steam, it works well in large installations, but isn't a good way to power a submarine.

Power grids, spacecraft, and trains use fuel cells now; trucks are in the near-future, according to Toyota.

Reply to
whit3rd

Of course nuclear subs are powered by steam. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil Hobbs wrote in news:5OidnWN3rpB73F snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com: snip

You may think it a joke, but that is a true statement.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I know.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Amps per hour is dI/dT.

 Click to see the full signature

Dare one suspect that the Korean middle-schooler didn't know the English term 'ampere-hour'?

Surely not, surely not.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Does anyone still distribute town gas? I thought that disappeared around 1960.

Like steam, it works well in large

It's mostly insanely expensive demos, except in spacecraft that can afford it. Where is the hydrogen going to come from?

It's always "in the near future." I've been hearing about the immediate bright future of fuel cells most of my life. Sure, it might happen some day, but the hype level is eternal. Nanotubes and nanoparticles are the flavor of the day.

Wake me up when it's commercially viable.

 Click to see the full signature

More likely a graduate of a Korean journalism school.

 Click to see the full signature

So what? It's an area of interest.

New product development works like that. For my first job in industry, back in 1970, I had to review the literature on inkjet printers, which went bac k a decade or so. Cambridge Consultants in Cambridge UK kept on working at for years, and in 1978 spun off Domino Inkjet, which could print labels on the fly to label fesh food with it's sell-buy date. The machinery needed co ntinuous maintenance. Ten year later I interviewed for job (which I didn't get) with a company that had developed a piezo-electric print head that wor ked and is now built into the cheap Epson printer that sits next to my comp uter.

Electrolysis, driven by soalr and wind power.

The natural gas distribution network can also handle hydrogen.

Like natural gas, hydrogen can be liquified. Liquid hydrogen has a low spec ific gravity, and if airliners burned liquid hydrogen they have to look a l ot more bulbous.

If you take climate change seriously - as in understanding the subject - th is has a notorious downside.

The second best way to store hydrogen is as ammonia. You can burn it, but t he oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust aren't good.

In Australia, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisat ion has developed a cheap catalyst for breaking down ammonia to hydrogen. I t would be great for hydrogen tanking station for cars, but the process of cleaning up the waste nitrogen stream requires relatively bulky gear that w ouldn't fit in a car or truck.

Japan seems to be seriously interested in going over to hydrogen, and the l ocal indusrialists have a yen for their money.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Electrolytic cells driven by wind and a solar power (when the wind is blowing and the sun is shining). Batteries return about 80% of the power put, hydrogen closer to 25%, but it still beats growing corn or sugar cane to ferment into fuel alcohol.

If only we could. The handsome princess isn't likely to want to kiss you.

The casket of your inflated self-esteem is going to get in the way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Oddly, there's no link to the original research report in the above article. To me, that's an indication that either something is wrong with the information, or the author of the blog article is intoxicated with his own writing.

I had some difficulty finding a reference to Kim Kwang-Woo or Yoo Seong-Jong with Google, Google Scholar, KIST, or UNIST (which doesn't have an English language web pile).

By experimenting with various orders and combinations of the name, I found Prof Yoo Seong-Jong at: The last four reports, at the bottom of the list of published papers, are probably the relevant reports. Only abstracts are available, no report, and no link to any paywall that might have them. Reading the abstracts is a bit difficult because the few chemical formulas have been butchered in the typesetting. Oddly, all the nanotube catalytic plating formulas mentioned include platinum and palladium which suggests that this may be an attempt to reduce their use, not eliminate them and replace them with something cheaper. Also, note that the top item of the professors research projects is: "Development of technology for design of low Pt catalysts in fuel cell" which also suggests that platinum and/or palladium catalysts are still required. That makes the articles announcement: Professor Yoo Seong-jong announced, "We proposed a new low-cost, high-performance candidate that can replace the existing platinum in fuel cell catalysts,..." quite inaccurate as his research will "reduce", not "replace" the platinum required in fuel cell catalysis.

Next time you find some new and wonderful technology that will revolutionize the industry and "change a lot", I would appreciate it if you also provide a pointer to the original research along with your one line unsubstantiated proclamation.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to