Wow, TV's with no electronics!

This in todays herald-sun, a Wollongong prof of engineering says 50
years ago TV's had no electronics. LOL.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/digital-life/how-tos/do-surge-protectors-work/2008/11/27/1227491712264.html

Re: Wow, TV's with no electronics!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/digital-life/how-tos/do-surge-protectors-work/2008/11/27/1227491712264.html

** Here is your prof (Sareth Perera) :

http://misprd.uow.edu.au/ris_public/WebObjects/RISPublic.woa/wa/Staff/selectPerson ;jsessionidBF%49CAA5E03F6FAF1C1CC9EA40FAAF83?id10%152&group60%

All his interest and experience is in Electrical Power Engineering.

It is very likely the Sri Lankan born prof has been misquoted by the female
journo.

Nearly all 50 year old TV sets had iron core transformers and valve
rectifiers in the PSUs  -   which are very resistant to damage from
lightning strikes.

.....   Phil

Re: Wow, TV's with no electronics!

Yup. I've been misquoted *every* time I've contributed to a journo.
They seem to excel at it.

Dave.

Re: Wow, TV's with no electronics!

work/2008/11/27/1227491712264.html

I think it's clear what he really meant (solid state), assuming he was
accurately quoted.

Re: Wow, TV's with no electronics!
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:39:50 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Back in those days we didn't need no electronics:
http://www.brownbaron.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/humbird_record.png
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/353500/353636jOrn_w.jpg
http://bedrock.deadsquid.com/img/other/objects/record_player.jpg
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/34000/34085lume_w.jpg

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Wow, TV's with no electronics!

its possible though not really practical,

Run a really really long continuous loop of film from studio - home to
home, and project from it. Only needs a bulb and electric motor (or
hand crank it if you want to be a greenie) - no electronics :). You
could even have some &*^%  like Conroy sitting outside the studio with
scissors and sticky tape, just in case some anti Labor or non-PC stuff
happened to come past :)

Think of the good side though, if you wanted to go to bed early and
wanted to know how the soapie ended,  just ring someone closer to the
studio :)

bloody big long fibre optic running back to the studio - and much
brighter studio lighting perhaps ??
look down the end of the fibre and watch everything - without
electronics :)

Site Timeline