On Screen Displays with TV's

Does anyone know how an On Screen Display works? For example, comcast digital cable. How are text, menus, and graphics displayed and overlayed? What type of electronics are needed to do this?

Reply to
grdthato

There are dedicated chips that do this. You can get ones that take composite video in overlay the text and output analog again, like the STV5730A. Others are RGB devices with bigger memory for multiple pages and full graphics. Phillips makes some that have 8051 micros embedded in them to control it. Others might be integrated into the main TV chipset, considering it's all "system on chip" these days.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

The same way its done in newer TV seds, with a chip designed to do the OSD funtion. There a re a lot of ICs made for the job. Try a search engine and a few well worded searchs will give you datasheets and sample circuits.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell