VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Briefly what equipment and S/W is required to copy VHS tape to CD/DVD.

Second. what are the location code (?) implications of DVDs made on a
PC  here to play in, say, the UK?

--
John G

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

http://shop.bigpond.com/Product.asp?Action=Detail&ID11%1009
http://shop.bigpond.com/Product.asp?Action=Detail&ID15%0717

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

I have one like this that works well:
<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EZCap-Easycap-DC60-USB-2-0-VHS-DVD-Converter-Card-Adapter-VIDEO-CAPTURE-CARD-/110914868612?pt=AU_Components&hash=item19d30a9584

As to your other question, as far as I know any recently made DVD player
will handle any region disc. Recent = say 5 years or younger.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to
<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EZCap-Easycap-DC60-USB-2-0-VHS-DVD-Converter-Card-Adapter-VIDEO-CAPTURE-CARD-/110914868612?pt=AU_Components&hash=item19d30a9584

+1
We converted old videos of the kids with one of those, ridiculously
cheap and does a perfectly acceptable job.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

There are a variety of ways of doing it equipment wise.

There are some dongles that you can get for not much money
that you can feed the output of the VCR into that will do it too.

You can also use an analog capture card and do it that way too.

Some video cameras do have a composite input and
you can feed that from the VCR into the video camera
and from there into the PC and write it to a CD/DVD.

None if you know what you are doing. Just make them region free.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

If your computer is WIN7 it has a DVD maker (regionless DVD)

Does your computer have RCA input jacks?

If not you will need a "USB to RCA" from Dick Smith or EBAY
This one $20 from Ebay including postage
http://tinyurl.com/6vg4q4a
The full Ebay search
http://tinyurl.com/7a76hnr
--
Petzl

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Probably easier/cheaper to buy a capture device with USB I/F & RCA jack
inputs.

Google for "vhs to usb converter", there's plenty out there.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to
John G brought next idea :

Thanks for the replies I did some looking :o) while  waiting and got
similar answers.
 I know, I should have just looked myself.

--
John G

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

a VHS player and DVD recorder.

on a pc it can probably be done using a video capture card and the bundled
software, or free stuff like ffmpeg.

AIUI Typically they are uncoded, and will play in any location.
special "authoring" media is needed for recording regoion coded DVDs as the
CSS keys are recorded in the lead-in area of the disc..

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Any PC with video a capture card will do. Most decent quality TV cards
have a fairly good analog video input which would exceed the VHS
capabilities.
I would encode the videos as H264 files then burn the CD/DVD as data
ones. Most (all) DVD video players will play them without problems
anyway, files will be smaller and easily moveable between storage media.

Keep in mind that burned CD and DVD media have a much shorter life span
than the ones you buy: in 2 to 5 years most DVDs lose their content,
regardless of how they were kept (speaking from actual experience).
If you choose the DVD media anyway, take a look at new developments such
as the M-Disc, or backup your DVDs often.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Not anymore, fuck all do anymore.

Oh bullshit.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Look for Easycap then, a dirt cheap USB dongle. We're talking about VHS,
the OP won't need HD or stuff like that, just a clean video input plus a
decent software to do some motion correction and filtering which will
help compression a lot.

I wish it was bullshit, unfortunately it is not.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Its bullshit. That hasn’t happened with any of the DVDs I have burnt.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Then keep your opinion as I keep mine. I lost about 10% in almost 300
disks, different brands and writers, all verified, most read just once
or twice, all kept vertical in their box in a drawer away from sunlight.

Luckily for most of them I realized what was going on before it was too
late. This didn't save the sources of a project I was working on in 2002
though: about 3 years ago they were already gone, both master and backup
disk, all Sony not burned by me.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to
I've never been one to keep data backed up onto a single media format. I
especially don't trust magnetic media for the long term. I originally
hoped that optical media would be a salvation of sorts but, whilst it
has a longer storage life than current magnetic media, it isn't proving
as reliable or as convenient as I thought it might.

In the past I used floppy disks and tape. I think I still might have a
few tapes laying about here somewhere however the drive is no longer
functional and was binned many years back. Don't even know if the newer
tape drives will read the old format tapes anyway.

Regardless, I transferred everything to CD-R at first, then progressed
to DVD-R as the technology allowed. It was a time consuming process. I
began the process of moving it to DVD-R, and had completed some 75% of
the transfer, when I started having doubts about the longevity of the
DVD-R medium. The DVDs did not seem to be anywhere near as reliable as
the CDs have been.

With the fall in cost of hard drives, I moved much of my data to hard
disks storage instead. I have found this form to be much more convenient
than any removeable form of storage medium. As capacities grow, I
progressively move the data to larger drives. This is so much easier
than burning CDs or DVDs. Most of my critical stuff is on 6 external 1
TB drives. By the end of this month it will also be on 3 x 2 TB drives
in my MacPro. That gives me 2 forms of storage media. The third will be,
effectively, in the cloud. By that I mean that my MacPro will back up
all its data to the server at my office in the city where it will
subsequently be backed up to tape.

Am I paranoid? Definitely!

--

Krypsis

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

This is exactly my approach since a few yars back: RAID file server plus
backups where needed. Drives (all green == much longer life) are rotated
every 2-3 years: I buy new ones for the RAID chains, former RAID ones end
up into clients or become offline backups. Much more practical and cheap:
every project, document, photo, music, movie, etc. instantly accessible
from all home machines in a few seconds max (RAID disks spin up time when
in sleep).

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

I bought some CD's burnt some data to them, checked etc and the within
two days unreadable. they were of some scanned images to be used the
next day.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Then you had a shit burner.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

No I still have some other cd's which were burnt back then and they
still read OK looked at them within the last 3 mths.

It was the CD's - cheap brand.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Yep.

All that proves is that that shit burner handles some
CD media fine and can't handle some other CD media.

It was a shit burner that couldn’t burn that media.

It must be a shit burner when other burners can burn that media fine.