VHS-C to VHS

Hi Guys

I was given some VHS Compact Videocasettes (from a friends camcorder). They nolonger have the camcorder and would like me to save the videos to DVD. I know you get adaptors that enable you to play this tape in a normal vhs machine.

I do not want to buy an adaptor just to do 3 tapes. Can I take the reels and tape out of the VHS-C cartridge, and install them into a normal VHS cartridge, or will there be a difference (Out of alignment, speed difference, etc)

Thanks Peter

Reply to
Peter K

I suppose you technically could do that, but personally I'd look for an adapter, you ought to be able to buy one for next to nothing on ebay.

Reply to
James Sweet

: I was given some VHS Compact Videocasettes (from a friends camcorder). : They nolonger have the camcorder and would like me to save the videos to : DVD. : I know you get adaptors that enable you to play this tape in a normal vhs : machine.

: I do not want to buy an adaptor just to do 3 tapes. : Can I take the reels and tape out of the VHS-C cartridge, and install them : into a normal VHS cartridge, : or will there be a difference (Out of alignment, speed difference, etc)

I dunno, think getting the adapter is a better way to go.

Physically, if I remember correctly, you can transplant the tape from the vhs-c to the vhs cart, but only by spooling it out of the cart into the other. By hand would be a pain in the ass but doable.

In other words, the tape is recorded/played back the same for vhs-c and vhs but the cartridges are two different animals. The hub and spool sizes aren't even close.

Guess it depends how much your time is worth but someone somewhere near you probably has one of those adapters in a drawer or closet. Might as well check ebay in your area, on the U.S. one there are a bunch of them, most under $10.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Thanks Bruce and James Will get one on ebay P

Reply to
Peter K

Get an adapter. Once you screw up a tape trying to transfer it to another cassette, you can also ruin your VCR. And, if the content of the tapes are valuable, even more so. Whoever's asking you to do the transfer will fork over $10, right? :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Aren't there professional places that will run the video through a TBC and otherwise recover much nicer video, for a fairly reasonable fee?

--
          If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
                          you should stop exhaling.

Hello,

I have done just that but be careful, the reels should be changed, so remove the leader from the empty reel, install on the bigger, insert the reels into your big tape, full reel still small and empty is big, then very carefully keeping the tape horizontal insert into vcr, spool all the way towards the end and replace other reel, then rewind. The reason is that the small reel can fall out of the hole and jam the tape (or your deck!). I would just buy the adapter, not worth the hassle unless it's an emergency (which was the case when i did it). But no worries about speed differences, that won't happen.

Cheetah

Reply to
CheetahHugger