Today Tonight at it again

** This item was broadcast on Monday night:

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/8834571/consumer/tv-fires

Just about everything the item said was wrong or very misleading.

Power points do not burst into flames when overloaded - there has to be
other SERIOUS problems to cause that.

CRT type TV sets and PC monitors are known to catch fire occasionally  ( cos
the plastic case is flammable) but what does TT show viewers  -  a modern
Plasma / LCD  set instead.

All the "experts " were electricians of course -  one implied that a home
theatre system plugged into " one power board " was a fire hazard. Bollocks.

Quote:

"People need on average another 1 or 2 power points per room to cope with
all the appliances we have in our homes. They'll often undertake that work
themselves illegally rather than get a contractor in to do it", say David
Hallet from Archicentre.

Anyone spot an obvious example of self interest masquerading as safety
advice??

Do none of these " experts " know what the purpose of a " thermal  magnetic"
circuit breaker is and how the ratings work ?

Do none of them know why thermal breakers are fitted to every multi-way
power board ?

Apparently not.

....  Phil

Re: Today Tonight at it again

Err. Not all premises have multi-way load centres installed in their
household 'fuse' board. Many still rely fuses either rewireble or HRC. Out
of interest . In your opinion, what is purpose of a " thermal  magnetic"
circuit breaker  and how do the ratings work ?

Re: Today Tonight at it again
Metro man is who  ??

** Huh ????

What the fuck do YOU  think a " multi-way power board is "?

Hint -  they sell them at K-Mart for about $5.

BTW

I am not here to answer your fuckwit questions.

....   Phil

Re: Today Tonight at it again

Yes I miss-read your prattle. Boy you do have a problem though. From
Queensland by any chance?

Re: Today Tonight at it again

I seems you are!

--
:-P

Re: Today Tonight at it again

Hey, pull your head in Peter!

Re: Today Tonight at it again

"Peter the Pig "

** What question did I answer ??

Re: Today Tonight at it again

Hardly a surprise - it's their stock in trade.

Sylvia.

Re: Today Tonight at it again

The few times I have seen it, they seem to just promote scam products
or services,
the rest of the time it is making a mountain out of a molehill,
showing bogans behaving
like bogans (trashing rental properties, harassing neighbours).

Not much to see

Re: Today Tonight at it again

I often find TT rather entertaining.
For me it is kind of real life comedy, especially since it is supposed
to be serious! TT and ACA take gutter "journalism" to ever new heights.

Tony

Re: Today Tonight at it again

"kreed"

The few times I have seen it, they seem to just promote scam products
or services,
the rest of the time it is making a mountain out of a molehill,
showing bogans behaving
like bogans (trashing rental properties, harassing neighbours).

** It is a worry when the arrogant fools at TT cause ordinary folk to become
highly anxious about the possibility of a house fire happening to them in
ways that virtually cannot happen.

Sensible advice to householders ( to minimise the risk of fires ) would be
to make sure the premises have an ELCB fitted, that old ceramic & wire fuses
are replaced with modern circuit breakers and that any AC plugs or outlets
that show signs of damage or overheating are replaced.

Easy to come up with images to show folk all the above.

....  Phil

Re: Today Tonight at it again

Why do you watch the shut. Is it because they help you feel smart....
As you have pointed out, they don't raise the bar very high!
Or are you just killing time before Home and away starts. :-)

--
:-P

Re: Today Tonight at it again

"Peter the Prick "

** Who says I do??

....  Phil

Re: Today Tonight at it again
( cos

I have in the past seen plenty of home made power boards made out of 2
or more domestic power points on a length of wood Never have I seen
one that is fused., but these are probably getting scarce these days
with commercial power boards (including circuit breaker) being only a
few $$. People might still make them in applications where they need
individual switches on each socket, or spread out more
but power boards with switches are readily available anyway.

As for illegally installed extra power sockets - assuming that the
installer hasn't made a bad joint, or used thin wire that overheats
under load and starts a fire (ie - thin fig 8 speaker wire etc) , the
worst that should happen is the circuit breaker on the fuse board
would open once the total current on that circuit got above 16/20a.

I also find it a bit hard to believe that the average TV / home
theatre setup could ever draw enough current to cause any problems
like this unless you had bad house wiring - and this is hardly the
fault of the TV or domestic sound system.

I suppose one could plug in a 2400w heater and other into one side of
a double socket that also feeds the home theatre, but I would think
that a properly wired house should be able to cope with this
situation.

Just typical TT crap.

Re: Today Tonight at it again

50 years ago, we would cut off a length of standard floor board, screw on some
mounting boxes, wire up twin GPOs and
attach and anchor a short flexible lead and plug.

Sure it was illegal, but there was nothing around in those days that would do
the same job as an off the shelf power
that you see for a few bucks today.

Mind you, some of the modern ones fall to bits in your hands after a couple of
years, exposing the metal power bars. Pay
peanuts, get monkeys :-)

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Today Tonight at it again
That is true. The first I can remember coming on the market were in
the mid 1970's -  those large Kambrook ones.  I still have 2 of them
here, and they do not have fuses or circuit breakers fitted.

Many power points and light switches crack and break with time too it
seems :(

Re: Today Tonight at it again

 As long as the flex cable on your homemade gizmo was rated at no less than
the rating of the GPO that was feeding it, it would be have been legal. It
was done many a time in the building game. Sometimes installed in a box to
protect it.

Cheers Metro........

Re: Today Tonight at it again

"Metro the Moron "

**  Such a home made unit breaks many laws.

     Never heard of the " prescribed  items " list ??

....  Phil

Re: Today Tonight at it again
ok, phil, why does it break many laws ???

wanker..

Re: Today Tonight at it again

"no one"

Fuck off  - you top posting ass.