pain of MOQs & distributors - Page 2

Re: pain of MOQs & distributors

I honestly don't mean any ill will - I thought it was
an excellent idea when you mooted it. I just wondered
because it didn't seem to have as much interest as you
and I hoped.

It didn't help that my first visit to the site, after
a month, yielded exactly zero parts listed, because
you have to select a category before "Browse" works.
I didn't have a part in mind, so I hit Browse, and
nada. Shouldn't be hard to make that more helpful...?

Re: pain of MOQs & distributors

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:03:41 +1000, Clifford Heath

That's OK clifford. I was (and still am) hoping the site will expand a
lot further.

I guess these type of sites take a while to actually get going, after
all we (electronic component users) are a very very small percentage
of the population and an even small percentage of us actually want to
sell our excess inventory.

Interestingly there have been several people (and some companies) that
have asked for access/credits and have never actually listed anything.
(If anyone out there reading this is one  of those people then please
list something!!)

I considered having a "general" browse all, and could still do it, but
decided against it as it could result in some rather large pages.  Ok,
perhaps not when there were only 10 or 20 parts on the site, but even
now there is about 450 parts listed and that would make a reasonable
size list on it's own.  So the decision was to allow browsing on a
section as presumably most people would know roughly what they were
looking for.

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

"More helpful" doesn't mean it has to work, but it
should give a message saying why it didn't work...
even to gray the Browse button until a category is
selected, though that requires JS. Both would be
best. If you need help with the HTML, just ask.

Re: pain of MOQs & distributors

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:40:06 +1000, Clifford Heath

OK.  I've changed the ozcomponents.com site a little.

Now there is just a find button and no browse button.

This gives the following options:

1) Select a component type and enter a part number and the system will
try to find the part number.

2) Select a component type and enter NO part number and the system
will find all parts of that type.

3) Select NO component type and enter a part number and the system
will try to find the part number.

4) Select NO component type and enter NO part number and the system
will find all parts of every type.

The search can be modified using the "Result contains",  "Result
starts with" and "Result is exact match" radio buttons.

Hopefully this will make the site easier to use.  I don't want to use
Javascript particularly as some people just don't have it enabled as a
norm (me included), so I'll stick to plain HTML for the browser side
of things.

Thanks for the feedback.

Alan
--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Re: pain of MOQs & distributors

Good effort - that works well!

Re: pain of MOQs & distributors

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 03:13:14 +1000, Clifford Heath

Thanks! Always open to suggestions.

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Re: pain of MOQs & distributors

Cost of storage of the components, cost of keeping slow moving items, etc.
No one wants to break a reel or tube, 'cos the disty's can't sell a broken reel.
It's also why Farnell and the others can charge what they want because their
business is keeping and selling slow and fast moving items, and everything
in between. They can absorb the costs in their charges.

I've never seen or heard of 90% of a reel of components going to landfill.
That's just sheer economic nonsense. If someone is stuck with unwanted
components they can sell them off to someone else who'd want them.
There's plenty of people around who purchase components simply to
sell them off at a future time worldwide. The manufacturer can also notify
some websites that they've got stock of components and anyone can
bid for them. Ebay is another option.

Quite often multiple customers purchase the same part because it has the
same set of requirements and performance. Also possibly because the disty has
ONLY that part, and some compromises may have to be made in the design.

Check on google for your required components. There's a number of sites
that have lists of who's got what, and you can bid for them.

Also, check with your board loaders. They MAY have some excess part reels
of components from other jobs. Duet in Melbourne also had a range of
passives, but could have some other semis, particularly common ones
like BAV70's, 78L05's (SO8), etc. I don't know if they're still in business
though.

What specific components are you looking for, and how many?

Site Timeline