Analog screwed up their website

Hello,

I visit webpages using firefox and noscript. Recent changes by Analog now display every page with a page filling "X" and "Q" on top. Probably the remainders of no-script hindering the webpage to open the "allow us to f*ck with your data" questions.

Annoying...

Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Are you sure you want to be running noscript? How about Adblock Plus?

Mike Monett

On a sunny day (25 Apr 2022 08:57:10 GMT) it happened Uwe Bonnes snipped-for-privacy@hertz.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

Same problem here with seamonkey, either complains about old certificates or just gives an error on some sites, or displays nothing usable. I now use chromium... (on a raspberry, or on the laptop via ssh from an other raspberry).

html used to be a nice system, once started writing a html option for my newsreader and started thinking about writing a web browser after I got some thing up and running the standard had changed, they have been changing standards and adding useless stuff ever since. Java did not make it any better, Not for the user, but for the advertising.. Modern websites made by 'we make you a website developer in 3 weeks' coders with silly tools. User tracking.. Face it, internet is dead, back to posting pigeons. drums in the wild on the reality side sending some microSD cards with X TB data with a drone is already now faster and cheaper. Drones are the future :-) Recently however you need a license for drones here, and here I cannot fly close to the mil airport that will be nuked by Russia soon if I did read it right,

Jan Panteltje

It's getting worse by the day, indeed. I've seen sites that are *only* JavaScript, several Mbytes of it, which then load the equivalent of a mere kbyte or two of real content, and even that only if you have the very latest browser.

What a waste. Incredible.

Even CERN's own web sites sell our souls to Google, use loads of cookies and JavaScript and refuse to serve contents if you don't accept either. Sir Tim would be horrified.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Do yourself a favor and ditch Firefox. I used it for years but the just aren't keeping up. I use Brave but any of the chromium based browsers will do including the new Edge if you're on Windows.

Reply to
rbowman

This one may be here to stay. Angular, React, Vue, etc. Users have come to expect single page applications and they take JavaScript -- a lot of it. We're developing an Angular app and I don't even want to think about how much JS.

Reply to
rbowman

Firefox is far superior to Chrome, Opera, SeaMonkey, or any other browser. I have tried them all.

I only use Chrome to connect to Canadian Tire, which requires Chrome to view products and add them to their shopping cart.

Other than that, Chrome is a useless browser. It screws up the fonts in Youtube, and loses synchronization between video and sound. It often runs into 100% CPU which garbles the playback or stops it completely. I found many other problems which I cannot recall, but I ended up removing it from my computer.

The problem the op is having is noscript. Remove it and install AdBlock Plus instead. (Yes, there is a version for Chrome.)

Mike Monett

Assuming you mean analog.com, I run FF w/NoScript and see no problems viewing the ~dozen pages I randomly visited.

W/o "analog.com" in the whitelist, there was a prompt to "Enable Javascript" but it didn't seem to hinder viewing (N.B. gstatic.com is enabled)

When analog.com was whitelisted, a dialog asked me to accept cookies. (fine, they will be purged when I close the browser).

I don't seem to be able to reproduce your problem.

Reply to
Don Y

Your experience differs from mine, at least for the last several years. I'm running Firefox 99.0.1 on my Linux box. At least it no longer locks the machine up but it crashes on a couple of websites I visit and at other odd times.

It's been losing market share for several years. Mozilla made several bad decisions and hasn't been keeping up. Your problem with Canadian Tire is one symptom.

It is better than Safari though. Even if you put FF on an Apple device it uses webkit.

Reply to
rbowman

I think losing market share is more due to cellphones. Apple have their own browser. Android has Chrome as their default browser, and few will take the time to switch or even know how.

Firefox is not the only browser with problems on Canadian Tire. Seamonkey screws up even more badly. It is completely unusable. I suspect it's not the browser, but the way Canadian Tire writes their HTML.

Canadian Tire has no programming expertise - you can tell by their requiring a particular browser (Chrome) to access their site.

They undoubtedly hired an outfit that has no clue what they are doing, and cannot program for a broad range of browsers like other sites. So it's not Firefox or SeaMonkey - it's Canadian Tire.

I have FF 99.0.1 and 96.0.2 running on Win7 under virtualbox. It is an extremely stable and reliable browser. I also have Chrome, but I only use it when I need to order from CanTire. I also have SeaMonkey running, and have tried Opera, Vivaldi, Pale Moon, and many others but removed them.

Linux is a completely different operating system and probably has far fewer users than Windows. So it's not surprising is is far less refined. I also have Firefox running on Ubuntu, but it is a very old version and I rarely ever use it. However, it was quite reliable in the period it was needed.

I don't know what to recommend for you. Google suggests

Brave Browser Falkon Browser Google Chrome Midori Browser Mozilla Firefox Opera Browser Pale Moon Vivaldi Browser

But I have never tried these on Ubuntu.

Reply to
Mike Monett

Don Y snipped-for-privacy@foo.invalid wrote: ...

Today the webbpage appears in usefull style again. Perhaps they fixed it...

Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Actually, I do have a suggestion. Start with the obvious. Wiggle all the cables and connectors, including the memory cards. You may have a poor connection, and bad crimp, or a bad cable. Load one of the other browsers and see if it crashes.

I always add a bit of vaseline to my connectors before using them. This is an old radio engineer's trick from the 1920's. It was taught to me by the staff of radio station CFRB in Toronto. They used it whenever the antenna feed lines showed a poor SWR.

The vaseline removes any dirt or oxide from the metal and allows a true metal-to-metal contact.

Reply to
Mike Monett

I run every browser instance in its own disposable Qubes VM, so whatever cruft they leave behind goes away when I close the browser (which shuts down the VM). Good Medicine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I keep my bookmarks in a Dropbox folder, all sorted. Firefox lets me drag/drop links from the address bar into my bookmarks folder.

The browser can die and I still have the bookmarks.

Reply to
jlarkin

I use znail.com for holding bookmarks. Party like it's 1998.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I use dropbox to share files for working at home too, so the bookmark thing fits right in. I have some terabytes of db space. They (actually amazon) must buy hard drives cheap.

If dropbox explodes or something, all the files are still on my various PC's.

Firefox is mildly annoying about dragging bookmarks out to folders. After version upgrades, it randomly doesn't work and I have to muck an about:config setting to fix that.

Yeah, I used to use DB a fair amount too. It was the auto-delete thing that spooked me initially--if I deleted a file by mistake, and DB _hadn't_ exploded, all the 'backups' disappeared as well.

Now of course I have a bunch of NDAs and court protective orders that require me to take super good care of various bits of IP, so anything that has to be accessible to an external party (such as DB) has to be encrypted, which is a pain because it defeats incremental updating.

Nowadays I do it semi-manually, using SSHFS or rsync by way of a socket port forwarded through the main firewall, with various scripts for various jobs. Project files are all version-controlled using git, and replicated at several sites. That way any fat-fingeredness on my part doesn't lead to permanent losses.

The super-secret sauce doesn't go on github or gitlab, even in private repositories.

I'm sufficiently fond of the disposable-VM thing that I really want to start with the equivalent of a clean install every time to prevent nasty things such as APTs, Lazarus trackers and immortal cookies.

One of my dispVM templates has some add-ons installed, such as Noscript, Privacy Badger, a useragent switcher, and a couple of downloaders.

The others don't--just a clean Firefox, Chromium, or torbrowser.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, yes, but theoretically old revs can be recovered. I copy my entire db to a real backup drive once in a while. I'm psychotic about backups.

We do an entire company backup to a usb hard drive every month or so, and treat it as write-once, never over-written. I scatter the drives all over California. I add my dropbox files and photos and whatever to them too.

I also have a dropbox folder for all the pictures I take, on my phone or a microscope or whatever. That is somewhat organized.

I have a db folder "Public" for files linked from sed or wherever, non-secret stuff.

I need a good cookie manager. I see sites that add 50 tracking cookies.