GPS GSM tracking system

Hi there,

I am looking for a GPS-GSM tracking system.

There are a few on the market however no one seems keen on selling the
unitis without their expensive monitiring service.

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Prefer NZ however Aus is OK.

Thanks

John

Re: GPS GSM tracking system

Have a look at www.alphamicro.net and buy one of their Trac units. It can be
set to send the GPS co-ordinates at specified intervals to a server via
GPRS.

I have created my own GPRS/GPS tracking system using an older version of
this product. What you need is a GPS/GPRS module, a GPRS data SIM card (data
plans give you GPRS for < 0.5c per kB compared to 2c per kB or timed for
normal plans), and a computer with a fixed IP address.

The computer IP address and port is programmed into the unit, and the unit
is set to send GPS information every 5mins. A program on the computer
listens on the port, and logs the GPS data.

If you do not have a fixed IP address I think there are some services out
there that will provide one, redirected to you.

How much are you looking to spend? At a guess the Trac unit will cost you
150+ pounds and the GPRS data plan around $10 per month. I have a simple
logging program that you could use, but any TCP logger should be fine.

Ross

Re: GPS GSM tracking system

http://www.no-ip.com

-mark

Re: GPS GSM tracking system

I thought that this just offered a fixed domain name, which then
resolves to your variable IP address. Worthless if you can't do a DNS
lookup from the GPRS.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: GPS GSM tracking system

You could use this as a query site to obtain the IP of the computer at the
time.

You used to be able to obtain a fixed IP through them, and install a small
prog on computer that registers your IP every time you connect to the net,
and every hour or so.

Probably have to pay for a fixed IP now. Was free once.

-mark

Re: GPS GSM tracking system

Further to that, yes it was fixed IP to variable IP not fixed domain to
variable IP.

-mark

Re: GPS GSM tracking system

Try  http://www.electrosense.com.au

Garmin GPS 18 and interface. Plugs into a mobile phone, receives SMS and
sends a return SMS to give location of phone.

Regards

John

Re: GPS GSM tracking system

This looks like it might be the right tool for the Job.

Thanks John

John