Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close - Page 2

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

No, that disappeared nearly five years ago.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

Quite right, I forgot about the Sorcerer is one I don't have yet.

That's true and whilst components may have had a huge markup you also needed
to sell them in volume.

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

And also agents for Yaesu. DSE was very useful back in the old days
and a lot of the staff were actually knowledgeable about electronics
(!)

------
If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still
wrong? ? Steven Wright

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

yes, he only employed electronics nuts

wrong? ? Steven Wright

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

So what?
http://www.wiltronics.com.au /

--
Q: What's an Australian kiss? A: Just like a French kiss, but down under.

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close
There have always been places like that, the thing about the old DS was
that they were round the corner if you wanted the odd resistor or
capacitor. Jaycar is the nearest thing now.

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close
http://www.connectedaustralia.com/News/BreakingNews/tabid/119/ArticleId/6643/Off-with-Dick-s-head-189-stores-set-to-close.aspx

They probably had too many stores anyway after acquiring Tandy. Several
duplicate stores were closed just after the acquisition, however many
remained open, with dubious viability. What exactly does DSE do now that
makes it any different from HN, JB etc?

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

And that's the real problem with retail shopping over the years there
are now to many of them doing much the same next door to each other.
--
 Petzl
http://tinyurl.com/abba-money-money-money-midi

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close
http://www.connectedaustralia.com/News/BreakingNews/tabid/119/ArticleId/6643/Off-with-Dick-s-head-189-stores-set-to-close.aspx
They charge more and employ less knowledgeable staff

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

http://www.connectedaustralia.com/News/BreakingNews/tabid/119/ArticleId/6643/Off-with-Dick-s-head-189-stores-set-to-close.aspx

They don't have enuf stock/variety as the above mentioned.

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

http://www.connectedaustralia.com/News/BreakingNews/tabid/119/ArticleId/6643/Off-with-Dick-s-head-189-stores-set-to-close.aspx

sell crappy DSE products.. :)

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

No great loss there. Except possibly to their shareholders. Good
riddance to (post 1985) DSE I say.

------
If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still
wrong? ? Steven Wright

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

My first amplifier was a Dick Smith kit - the EA Playmaster 136 from around
1972/73.
There was only one Dick Smith store at the time, at Gore Hill in Sydney.
I used the mail order service and the kit arrived promptly with all bits
included - and it
worked first time. DSE has long since lost the plot.

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close
http://www.connectedaustralia.com/News/BreakingNews/tabid/119/ArticleId/6643/Off-with-Dick-s-head-189-stores-set-to-close.aspx

Since they've long become just another consumer electronics retail
store, I doubt they'll be missed by many readers of these groups.

 From my perspective, they died a while back, they just didn't stop moving.

Sylvia.

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close
http://www.connectedaustralia.com/News/BreakingNews/tabid/119/ArticleId/6643/Off-with-Dick-s-head-189-stores-set-to-close.aspx

When I was working there about 8 years ago the rot had already well and
truly set in.

Staff generally avoided anyone approaching the "P" section like they had the
plague already then, because there was no money in it and it required some
expertise to help people. High GP items meant a bigger paycheck and
upselling extended warranties on high value items was all the rage.

It was clearl already then that the "P" section was a relic that nobody
really wanted anymore. As service got worse, fewer customers would come in
to ask for advice and buy components, so lines got deleted etc, until they
finally dumped the whole lot last year.

But really it's hard to see how DSE has any relevance at all today as others
are doing what they are trying to do, but they already do it much better.

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

Off with Dickĺs head: 189 stores set to close

Its just evolution.
I just had a Samsung led tv repaired because the earphone socket had broken.
The whole board was replaced and it only had two boards inside. Even techs
are not using many components

Silicon chip is full of arduino and picaxe as well as other microprocessor
projects.
Components will probably only be available from niche suppliers in the
future.

Many businesses have come and gone/going  due to changing technology. Kodak
being a prime example

woolworthsĺ strategic review of Dick Smith is drawing to an end, and CLSA
analysts predict 189 of the retailersĺ 386
stores could close as a result.

Parent company Woolworths is reviewing the electronics retailer due to
underperforming sales, and CLSA analysts believe
the best option is to reduce store numbers.

"We believe that Woolworths will close up to 189 stores (out of 386) that
are deemed unviable and invest significant
effort in pursuing an online strategy to support the 'bricks and mortar'
presence," analysts David Thomas and Richard
Barwick wrote in a report entitled "Off With Dick's Head".

"While some may see this as a band-aid measure, we believe it will give
Woolworths an ability to improve profitability,
continue to be a relevant player in consumer electronics and allow it to
minimise the initial liability-writedown,ö the
report read.

Full Story:
http://www.connectedaustralia.com/News/BreakingNews/tabid/119/ArticleId/6643/Off-with-Dick-s-head-189-stores-set-to-close.aspx

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

Good example of a company killed by it's own invention and not following up
on it.

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close
it.

It hasnt been killed, its only in Chapter 11, which allows it to continue.

And it isnt even possible to follow up on the invention that destroyed its basis
in a way that avoids the result they got.

Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

That's all they do now -replace the PCB. and they don't repair the old
board. it's just case of replace with new.

http://www.connectedaustralia.com/News/BreakingNews/tabid/119/ArticleId/6643/Off-with-Dick-s-head-189-stores-set-to-close.aspx

rgds,

Pete
Re: Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

Wrong. Samsung do repair boards where it is economically viable (like
replacing the caps in the power boards in some of their TV models) but it's
not done by the partswapper but by a service and repair centre.

I know this for a fact as I have a friend who is a service tech with
Samsung.

Site Timeline