CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights? - Page 2

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

Yeah, I have one of those Phillips, been on the front light from the
garage door operator for about 25 years now. Would be turned on daily at
least.
Ahhh ! they just don't make 'em like they used ta !!

Cheers ........... Rheillt P

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

Take a look at this one, shows user pics of a bulb cut open and what
is inside.

To me, that looks like a series capacitor type supply, and that
doesn't look like an X class capacitor being used.
The fact that it is advertised as 180 - 264 v  only and that he had to
mod it to work on 120v adds weight to that theory.
Not good.

I also don't see a cover on it, looks as though the PCB's are simply
stacked around the edge against each other.  Could collapse
when someone was turning it to insert or remove from socket ?

In this case, he claimed to be converting the bulb for use on 120v
AC.   Looks like it is not worth the effort,
though he is probably like most of us on this group - do it to prove
that it can be done ;)

Site Timeline