Reading data back from HP4195A

I am writing a program to control a 4195 over the HP-IB bus, and I can't seem to find the command to return the data from a sweep. I have worked with many other HP test instruments, and usually there is a command that sends back the entire data set after a sweep is completed (e.g. on the 3562A that command is "DDAS"). Anyone know would I get the sweep data back from the 4195A?

TIA!

-larry

Reply to
Larry Martell

I know for my HP synthesizer there is a "gate" signal -- and I can control the synthesizer and spectrum analyzer all in one.

Try posting your question on the newsgroup rec.radio.amateur.homebrew -- there are quite a few former HP (Agilent) engineers who visit there. A lot of ham radio ops use HP network analyzers, synthesizers, VNA's etc.

Reply to
Johnson

I don't know if I'd call a 4195 a "modern" instrument. My 4195A was made in 1989, and SPCI came out in 1999.

It's an HP-IB command that the 3562A accetps.

-larry

Reply to
Larry Martell

Thanks very much Mark. I've played around with this a bit, and I found that the A register has the Y data and the X register has the X data. But what data is contained in the B register?

-larry

Reply to
Larry Martell

I have an HP3577A that accepts commands like "DRA" (Dump Register A). Send it "FM1" first if you want ASCII data. If that works, I should be able to suggest a few more commands to try out.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

A register: A? B register: B? X register: X?

My normal sequence: SWM2 single sweep mode SWTRIG trigger (may need to insert a wait) A? get A register B? get B register X? get C register

--
Mark
Reply to

Have you tried poking around

yet? Of the two (HP or Agilent) I would suspect that Agilent is more likely to have old stuff for that. Of course, it may be old enough that the docs were never done for online perusal...

rick jones

Rick Jones

Hi,

Please contact my friend Marc / F5MM he has many many HP TM equipment and do some programming for these and he own a 4195A . His email is: snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com Recommand you from myself, he's a very good friend. He is also starting a European HP museum with around more than 500 instruments, vintage and more recent. I copy him with this email.

Good luck Pierre-François / F5BQP snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.fr

"Larry Martell" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Pierre-François

The B register contents depends on what the instrument settings are. Hit the format button for the A and B register definitions.

Network analysis: phase, group delay, and imaginary part of the signal.

Impedance analysis: to numerous to list.

Spectral analysis: nothing that I know of.

--
Mark
Reply to

fwiw, the folks at SOFTWIRE have put together a Visual Basic routine for GPIB -- it can be found as a zip file on the Softwire Forum -- in the "Strut Your Stuff" section.

Johnson

Thanks again!!

-larry

Reply to