'Tenths of a Foot'? NASA Unit ???

I watched with great interest the recent (final) docking of the shuttle and ISS.

I do however find it most interesting that the units that NASA used in describing the distance between the two was 'tenths of a foot'. Is this a new metric unit?

TomC

Reply to
tomcee

Quite old, I believe the unit is called a toe.

I downloaded and watched the shuttle launch in HD - looked great, it must be awesome to see it in real life.

Reply to
Dennis

Yes. It's also referred to as "one toe". ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Rich Webb schrieb:

Hello,

and that toe would be equal to 1.2 inch. Not very clever to use foot, toe and inch together.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

That doesn't make sense. There are only five toes on one foot. So a tenth of a foot should be 1/2 a toe.

I wish someone would rationalize these units.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I think its based on surveying conventions. Only one unit is used (feet or meters) and everything is expressed in decimal parts of that unit.

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.
                      -- Tom Waits
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Correct, I even have a surveyor's tape measure that is marked in tenth's of a foot.

Reply to
Peter2

Our land surveys are that way. 368.27 feet or notes like "fence is 0.2' south of line"

--
Joe Chisolm
Texas

It's insane that NASA, or any organization dealing with electronics or physics, would use Olde English units. Feet, inches, fractions of inches, mils, yards, miles, nautical miles, knots, drams, pounds, poundals, slugs, pounds-force, degrees F, degrees R, ounces, fluid ounces, quarts, gallons, barrels, pints, cups, tablespoons, gills, fifths, BTUs, horsepower, bushels, screw sizes, wire gages, candles, all insane. And dangerous.

John

Yes, but if all your 30+ year-old instruments are calibrated in tenth of foot units, it is better to use it as is that try to convert on the fly. Remember the shuttles have been flying for 30+ years, and development started just after the moon landings finished, about 40 years ago.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It's an astronomical unit. 1 attoparsec = 1 decifoot, to within a percent or so of experimental error. (Which is proof positive that God doesn't want us to use metric units.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They're all crazy but you, is that it? >:->

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I never claimed that I'm not crazy. But I'm sane enough to do physics in SI units.

Try some thermal calculations in olden units, Btu/(hr·ft-F) and all that. THAT will drive you crazy.

John

If a cubit was good enough for Him, it's good enough for us.

John

10% of your salary was good enough for him, too. Obama has much better ideas.
Reply to
krw

Didn't I read somewhere that a bridge near MIT was measured in Smoots and Smoot ears?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

I beg your pardon?

Jim CCA-CTA-NEA and damned proud of it.

Reply to
RST Engineering

It's sometimes six. Would that make it a Polydactyl toe?

Martin Riddle

Parsecs are an utterly arbitrary unit as well

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to