Cat 5E cabling.

I have just purchased two  Cat 5e  A type patch cords of different length
and manufacture.Whilst both are wired identically (straight through,1 to 1
etc.),I notice  the colour codes used are different,one following the 568A
code and the other following the 568B code.Could someone advise if a) there
is something about Cat 5E I don't know (very possible),b)this is "common"
practice and c)  it really matter,electrons cant see colour after all!

Thanks,Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Cat 5E cabling.

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:12:17 GMT, "Brian Goldsmith"

Brian,

a) difficult for me to say what you already know
b) it is common a occurrence to find both 568A and 568B in patch cords
c) doesn't make any difference in a practical sense

I have seen patch cables sent out with Cisco routers and they don't
even conform to any known wiring colour or terminating standard.
Needless to say they are all Chinese origin. While the Australian
recommendation is for structured cabling to be terminated to 568A
there is no problem with doing it to 568B.

Re: Cat 5E cabling.

"Brian Goldsmith"  wrote

I have just purchased two  Cat 5e  A type patch cords of different length
and manufacture.Whilst both are wired identically (straight through,1 to 1
etc.),I notice  the colour codes used are different,one following the 568A
code and the other following the 568B code.Could someone advise if a) there
is something about Cat 5E I don't know (very possible),b)this is "common"
practice and c)  it really matter,electrons cant see colour after all!

Thanks,Brian Goldsmith.

***** Well,I believe the answer is first of all,a) followed by b) followed
by c)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 Please see the following which I have just discovered in a google search.

"The 568 committee, with good intentions, decided to allow both wiring
methods (568A & 568B) to exist within the 568A Standard. The reason was that
at the time, a great deal of cabling plants had been installed to the B
standard (formerly known as WECO or AT&T 258A). Even though they allowed
both wiring methods, they stated in their standard that 568A wiring would be
the preferred method for all new installations. Time, and popular opinion,
went in the other direction. The most popular wiring method today is 568B.
Having both A & B methods does nothing but cause errors and confusion.
Originally, patch panels and jacks were manufactured either A or B. In most
cases, they were not labeled as such. Most suppliers stocked only the B
wired products. Luckily, today, almost all jacks and patch panels show
diagrams for both A and B. The only difference between the two is the
interchanging of the 2nd and 3rd pairs (white/orange and white/green,
respectively)."

What a typical septic dogs breakfast!!! :-)
A bit like the US satellite that "blew" up because the septics couldn't
recognise there were some parts made to metric specs and some made to US
Imperial!!!

Thanks for the indulgence!

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Cat 5E cabling.

This is the page I refer my workmates to when they want to know how to make
a custom length of patch cord.
http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp
It cuts and pastes to Word and prints out well.
The hard part is developing the manual dexterity to untwist those damned
little wires, trim them to the right length and get them into the plug for
long enough to crunch down on the crimping tool.
As it says, there's no diff in connectivity between straight thru 568A and
568B, though most patch cords seem to be 568B. Naturally, if you need a
crossover cable you need one A end and one B end.

PH

Site Timeline