Cat detector

In looking through today's selection of fine junk mail, I came across this gadget for $200 that is actually pretty cool and comes with 10 RFID tags ..

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

So my cat sneaks out when people come in/out the door. She's an indoor cat, but very sneaky. I don't mind too much except when its like -5 out and the wife sends me out at midnight to find the stupid cat.

How can I detect when a cat is in the doorway? I was thinking an optical sensor about 5" from the floor in the doorway but I don't want it to detect everything, just this one cat. Is there some simple detector I can make for a simple RFID tag (attached to the cats collar)? I don't know anything about RFID tags. Where does one even get them in small quanities (other than steal an item of clothing with one of them embedded in it)?

I have read a little online about resonant circuits and using a wire loop as part of a detector circuit (I guess thats really a simple RFID tag), but I didn't find enough info to help me build anything. For the cat, I need something thats not powered and small enough to attach to a cat collar.

Any helpfull thoughts?

Thanks. dan

Reply to
Dan

Are you in a police state or in the US?

Reply to
Brian

The range is only 100mm (4")

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

I want the same thing for my neighbors cat. My solution requires no special equipment to be present in the cat.

The nasty animal has decided my door mat is a cat scratch toy and has taken my mat that had no noticeable wear in 10 years to a worn mess in a couple months. I poured ammonia around a few times. It continues.

Somebody's pet is just a pest to me. Any ideas how to make it go away?

Reply to
xray

Yes.

Are you a primate or a mammal?

Reply to
Guy Macon

OK, OK, so I went a few pages farther in the same flyer and found this gadget for $59 that only responds to your cat ...

( I am always snooping in catalogs like that for ideas for cute little gadgets to make for my house etc.)

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

Bleach instead of ammonia? High voltage (take care to limit the current

- and the voltage so shoes are adequate protection :)?

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

I read in sci.electronics.design that xray wrote (in ) about 'Cat detector', on Fri, 21 Jan 2005:

Get your own cat.

-- Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. The good news is that nothing is compulsory. The bad news is that everything is prohibited.

Also see

John Woodgate

Just exactlly how does the zoo collect tiger piss?

Reply to
Richard Henry

How about those dog collars which give a mild shock if the critter transgresses a perimiter sensor?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Yes, ideally a large tom short hair semi-wild cat. If you get one as good as I had, you won't have trouble with other cats coming in your yard. For that matter you won't have trouble with dogs either.

Barring that, some pet stores sell stuff that cats hate the smell of. It seems to really work.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Unless you really want to stick to hightech stuff to solve trivial problems, there are more foolprof solutions. For whatever reason a cat of mine chooses to pee on shoes. So how can I prevent the cat from reaching this area ? Since this cat doesn't jump more than 60cm, I made an 80cm high gate from some plywood that separates this area from the rest.

No empty batteries and nothing else interferes in this aim. Checking whether this gate is open doesn't require equipment either.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Piss on the door. (or on the cat, if you can hit it.) The smell reportedly deters cats.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

No, you go to the local zoo and ask for a bottle of tiger piss. Spread a bit of that around and there won't be a cat for miles.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

Well, it is certainly true that you only take the piss out of a tiger once...

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

I read in sci.electronics.design that Richard Henry wrote (in ) about 'Cat detector', on Fri,

21 Jan 2005:

Very, very carefully.

John Woodgate

Anyone who declaws a cat should have the last joint of every finger removed with a machete. Then, their home should be filled with feral cats to scratch every piece of furniture to shreds.

Reply to
larwe

By your answer, I wish you ultra-liberal goofball butt would move to Australia.

Reply to
Brian

This thread has gone to the cats.

Reply to