Ginger cat detector

I was looking for a new demo application and we've done model trains before. As usual, a real-life problem, this one involving building management, presented itself.

We have two cats in the house. We have a very fat black cat and a semi-wild skinny black and white one. A very hansdome ginger tom has taken to coming through the cat flap, feeding itself and spraying, which is the problem.

Naturally this happens at night when the humans are asleep. Collars and magnetic cat-flaps are not an option. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive and reliable method of determining which cat came through the cat-flap? I really don't want to implement the counter-measures until this problem is solved! Our cats are not chipped.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

This is a solved problem with a COTS solution!

Reply to
larwe

Nice problem, I was thinking of two sprung flaps mounted vertically above one another. The cat's enter the top and the skinny one will walk straight across into the house. The fat one will fall through the first and second flaps and then through into the house. The ginger one will fall through the first but not the second and from there can only go back out of the house! Just need to tune the spring rates.

I suppose an electronic version would be to have some mass measurement that determines which cat it is then opens the appropriate flap to the house or back outside.

--
Dave
Reply to

ght

nd

the

Cats don't care for funhouse rides; I think this mechanism will train them all to just stand outside and mew :)

Reply to
larwe

Put rubber booties on your cats and electrify the floor. Ginger cat will only visit once!

Chris

--
Chris Eilbeck
Reply to

If you find a solution, I'd be interested in knowing the answer. In our case, our cat is "normal" and the unwanted one is quite furry. All cats are gray in the dark.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

I gotta say - the replies in this thread are the very soul and definition of what engineering is all about!

Reply to
larwe

That was going to be my suggestion.

-- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Give them RADAR-GUIDED at SKEE-BALL LANES and visi.com VELVEETA BURRITOS!!

Reply to
Grant Edwards

If they were, I assume the range of a chip reader would be enough that you could put one in the "roof" of a cat-sized tunnel and fix it up so that the door would only open if the proper cat is in the tunnel.

How much does it cost to get a pet chipped?

Are readers available in a hackable form?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! All of life is a blur
                                  at               of Republicans and meat!

Typically between $20 and $60 depending on how much your local vet feels his time is worth. Almost all animals that have been adopted from shelters will be supplied with the chip preinstalled.

Readers are given gratis to animal shelters, but there is no unified standard (!!!!!!) so several readers are required. Fortunately there are open-source projects

Reply to
larwe

Presumably the OP would get the same brand of chips in both his cats and only require one reader.

Intersting. It looks like he's using 1N914 diodes (or something equivalent) to clamp the audio line level output. The odd thing is that he uses five of them arranged like this:

| | +---->|-----+ | | +---->|-----+ | | +---->|-----+ | | +----|

Reply to
Grant Edwards

On that sort of crappy breadboard you need 5 just to be sure one of them makes contact :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

To: John Devereux From: Grant Edwards Subject: Re: Ginger cat detector In-Reply-To: References:

Back in the college days, there was nothing quite like troubleshooting those multi-breadboard rat's nest design projects.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Uh-oh!!  I forgot
                                  at               to submit to COMPULSORY

Buy a Border Terrier and socialize him with your cat only.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Use the flap as a trigger for a camera, send the photo to a PC where a program will analyse the color spectrum, release a fake mechanical mouse that will lead the ginger cat to the terrier and hope that the cat's owner is not a lawyer.

Reply to
Lanarcam

Weighing the cat is one option ?.

Or, Door switch+wakeup, and that would give you the satisfaction of Launching, and SEEING the 'counter measures' kick in :)

We had a similar problem, but I swear the rogue cat was psychic. As soon as the plan was in place, he was never seen again!

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Weighing the cats is a simple and obvious solution and if it works could be very reliable. It depends on how similar the cats are in weight and how much they vary day to day.

ISTR hearing that certain parole offices in the States measure galvanic skin response to identify offenders. It could conceivably be used on the cat's paws although I suspect it would vary far too much to be useful with wet and/or muddy feet.

Sample the cat's miaow and run it through an FFT. I must admit that I have never actually studied the finer points of noises made by cats, but I wouldn't be surprised if you found that each cat's miaow had a distinctive signature. Of course this depends on the cat miaowing in the first place but in my experience that is rarely a problem when they want to be let in.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

I've known a cat ot two that wouldn't. They'd just sit on the window ledge and stare.

Might be interesting to see how unique a meow-print was though.

Robert

Robert Adsett

That is ecause they wanted to be let in through the window and not the door. BTDT.

Reply to
Terryc

I'm a bit sensitive on the subject of pet cats lately.

was much loved (see first pic), and far too young to die.Steve--http://www.fivetrees.com

Reply to
Steve at fivetrees