Windows 11 on a Raspi 400...

...it runs. But is only for the curious and patient ones...

:-D

FW

Reply to
F. W.

Like curious ones who become patients in A&E, after putting things in orifices that have no business being there!

---druck

Reply to
druck

A&E ?

FW

Reply to
F. W.

"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

? Confucius
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

still an improvement over the majority of PC's out there at the moment though.

--
I believe that professional wrestling is clean and everything else in
the world is fixed.

Ah, thank you.

FW

Reply to
F. W.

Am 05.07.2021 um 15:34 schrieb alister:

Some say, we can use W11 on a Pi without cost. But no. It's just a try.

I would never miss Raspi OS ;-)

FW

Reply to
F. W.

Windows-10/32 runs OK on an RPi-400 for non-critical programs. One at a time. Try the Twister OS.

--
Cheers,
David

I've not tried it, but I suspect it would crawl rather than run.

Reply to
ray

So does the ARM64 port of Office apparently!

wibble

Am 05.07.2021 um 17:03 schrieb David Taylor:

I don't like Windows at all. Only uses it if I have to.

The charming Raspi 400 declares finally a kind of "one linux for all". For example in schools, books or videos.

Linux finally looks all the same.

FW

Reply to
F. W.

I choose the programs I want to run first, then the best OS on which to run that software. Yes, the Raspberry Pi OS is a good one, and I use it but with both the graphical and command-line interfaces.

If, like me, you have software which requires Windows, it's good to know that running on the RPi 400 may be an option.

--
Cheers,
David

For the more recent members of this group: Its also worth remembering that WINE is available for most Linux installations: its an APi translation layer over the Linux kernel that allows Windows applications to be run without the need to have Windows running in a VM and, unlike actual Windows, can still run games etc. that were developed under versions of Windows that are no longer supported.

It's available for Raspbian and supports 32bit binaries. I've only run it on X86 Fedora distros, but the implication of having it available for Raspbian is that it should run 32 bit X86 binaries on an RPi. It is, however, quite a large chunk of code since it probably runs under an emulator on ARM systems and consists of a shedload of libraries that emulate Windows APIs.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Yes, hence the reference a while ago to TwisterOS which prepackages Wine and other stuff for a polished experience. I didn't know either, but as they explain on their page

it's actually Box86 (or QEMU) that translates from x86 to Arm and Wine that interprets the Windows calls.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Yes, I wondered about that: thanks for the confirmation.

In my (limited) experience QEMU works well on an RPi (512Mb Pi 2B). The PICAXE Basic compiler runs in a modified QEMU instance. I've done little so far except to verify that it works and that the generated binary is successfully transferred to a PICAXE chip where it runs OK.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Brit-speak for "ER."

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter

schrieb druck!!

Suggests: Notfall und Unfall.

Although, last time I went was because of a fall, so it seems like a bit of a silly language.

Reply to
Pancho