Curious (2023 Update)

Cool book. There's a lot of stuff about ideas and such, and a lot of good references.

Reply to
jlarkin

Would you please share the real URL, not something obfuscated / hidden behind (at least one) redirect?

Reply to
Grant Taylor

It's safe. Click it.

Reply to
jlarkin

No offense intended, but I have no idea who you are. You are some random person on the Internet.

What's more is that two different security systems I have installed objected / blocked the link.

So that's four strikes against it; random source, my own inhibition, the first security system which I temporarily disabled, and the second security system that blocked it.

Five if you count your apparent reluctance to provide a real URL.

Reply to
Grant Taylor

I've been posting here for decades.

We have an unintended but interesting example of fear overcoming curiosity.

Reply to
jlarkin

Do you think that means people can decode your tinyurl's ? I think most regulars here will appreciate that you won't intentionally post a "dangerous" link. But a lot might think you'd post a pointless link.

I would not click your tinyurl links - or those of other regulars here. Knowing that it is to an Amazon page, I'd still not click it. I am not interested in clicking your adverts, nor am I interested in adding to Amazon's massive collection of my data. Why should I contribute to Amazon's promotion of a book I know nothing about, or make them think it is the kind of book I am interested in? Why would I want to go to the site of a company that has almost single-handedly destroyed bookshops around the world, using what can only be described as grossly unethical methods to gain a near monopoly with the abuse that comes with that?

If this is a book you like, and think it is worth sharing with the group, then tell us the title of the book. Tell us the author and publisher. Post a /real/ link to the book's webpage (or author's page, or publisher's page). Tell us what the book is about, and why you like it or found it interesting. "I like this book because it is cool" might be acceptable as a book review when you are seven, but it is not really appropriate here.

(To be clear here - it is very likely that a book you find interesting will be of interest to others here. I'm not objecting to you sharing a book recommendation, merely to the way you are doing it.)

Reply to
David Brown

The length of time you've been posting doesn't change the fact that I don't know you in person. Thus you qualify as some random person on the Internet.

Nope.

There's no fear involved.

There's less interest in the actual item you linked to than there is in the fact that you are apparently refusing to provide more useful information.

This really seems to be a Rick Roll type scenario. No thank you.

Reply to
Grant Taylor

Agreed. Posting links is OK, provided there is a bit of circumstantial info that tells what the link is about and why it's worth taking the risk and spending the time to click on it. Without that, I, at least, will just ignore it, even if it's coming from people I otherwise respect. If the circumstantial info is any good, the link is superfluous. I can find out enough by myself.

A post saying just "Hey! Check this out!" is certain to get skipped.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

It wouldn't interest you anyhow.

Curiosity killed the cat.

Reply to
Rick C

Temptation got the best of me. I've heard that thing about curiosity for over half a century. The rest of the quote is here.

Dean Hoffman

Maybe it's good to not click that link. Here is what I got,

"uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading" Because of the following filter: ||viglink.com^ Found in: Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

Even going to legitimate sites can send your browser down a rabbit hole of redirects.

Reply to
Rick C

On a sunny day (Mon, 20 Dec 2021 18:19:40 +0100) it happened David Brown snipped-for-privacy@hesbynett.no wrote in <spqdvc$48t$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Sure tinyurls are a potential security risk, so is every site these days after the recent hack:

PC is now encrypted click <here> to reboot

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hey! Check this out!

Rick C

Apache : 1

MS Windows : 5,385,349

Reply to
Rick C

On a sunny day (Mon, 20 Dec 2021 10:35:12 -0800 (PST)) it happened Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Angry owner blows up his Tesla (VIDEO):

20,000 Euro for a new battery is a bit much I think.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Apparently it doesn't interest anyone.

Reply to
Rick C

uBlock origin popped up & blocked the redirect but it allows you to see the URL's contents I take it this is the book?:

Rich S

I suspect we've all been guilty of inadvertently sharing a questionable link. But I try to always share a good clean link if someone asks. Mistakes happen. How we respond to them is what's important.

Reply to
Grant Taylor

You forgot the < > brackets :-)

Reply to