Microwave runs but won't heat

I have a "Figidaire Gallery" over the range microwave. I turned it on to reheat food and I heard a click. The microwave still ran but it did not heat the food.

At this point, the appliance turns on but it does not kick in to heat anything up (tried every option and still the same). Any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks

Reply to
bones

Magnetron! or HV supply.Get an engineer it's probably not an easy fix for a non-qualified person[if that's you,if qualified then read Sams instructions] If not qualified don't open it.Regards

Reply to
Harry Collingwood

Or an open door safety microswitch...

it

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Yes, it could indeed be something simple but microwave ovens ARE the MOST DANGEROUS household appliance to work inside.

If you have no experience with high voltage electronics, leave it to a professional. This is for your own safety.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

I've fixed a couple that had cracked solder connections at the power relay on the control board, could also be a bad diode or capacitor in the HV circuit but usually that blows the oven fuse.

*Read the repair FAQ BEFORE* you think about opening this thing up, microwaves are relatively simple to work on but they can be lethal if you don't know what you're doing.
Reply to
James Sweet

I had to send in the microwave because I didn't really know what I was doing. The repair guy tested it with a meter plugged into wall while microwave was plugged into it. He said it was drawing 4 amps so he said it was probably a diode or capacitor. Since you suggested this does the 4 amp senerio sound correct?

Reply to
bones

Possibly but less likely than a bad connection to the magnetron filament..

HV diodes and capacitors usually fail shorted, which would draw more current.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

After two weeks in the Sears repair shop, they finally looked at my microwave and they told me that I need a new transformer. Going by my earlier postings regarding the problems and the replies that I received, do you think that this sounds like a good diagnosis? It will cost me $400 Canadian. I bought the microwave in '99 for $600 Can. If it is an accurate diagnosis do you think it would be worth to fix it at this price?

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
bones

bones:

6 years later..... facing a $400 repair bill.... it is time to trash it. (He's dead, Jim) New, full feature Microwave ovens can be purchased for much less than the proposed repair bill.... unless you are looking for some peculiar feature or size that only is found on the high priced units . Keep it simple and you can probably get a new one for a couple hundred dollars or so... (Canadian)

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

do

accurate

said

filament..

above

can

on

heat

HV

Reply to
sofie

Although I worked in a shop that repaired them, I never did a repair myself, but...isn't a transformer failure a rarity, an oddity?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

But the diagnosis doesn't make sense either if what they mean is the high voltage transformer.

The only likely failure of the HV transformer would result in a very high current and probably a blown fuse. This would be due to shorted turns in the primary or HV winding.

The original service guy tested the line current and said it was only drawing

4 A. That sounds like the input current to an unloaded HV transformer 4 A is consistent with the (partially saturating - normal) HV transformer when not loaded. So, most likely cause is a bad filament connection to the magnetron or a bad magnetron. The HV capacitor normally fails shorted, as does the HV diode, though if it exploded, it would be open. :)

And, the *ONLY* excuse to charge $400 for a transformer is that they simply do not want to fix it! Go on eBay and you can probably pick one up for $10.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anyth> bones:

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Certainly not that common, but see my other posting. I doubt it's the transformer.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

do

accurate

That sounds unlikely, the only time I've *ever* seen a microwave transformer fail was on an ancient Amana RadarRange and that was 20 years ago, the oven started billowing putrid smoke.

Reply to
James Sweet

received, do

accurate

Well he did say it's the Sears shop, generally those guys are idiots, my grandparents had a service contract with them for years, half the time they couldn't even fix a dishwasher or clothes dryer on the first trip out, and even so all they did was swap parts until the thing worked.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks to all for the replies. I will question Sears and also let them know that I've been told that this is a rarity. And I will let you know what they say.

Jeff

Reply to
bones

know

The morons will probably just look at you like you just landed from outer space.

Reply to
James Sweet

They told me that it was the magnatron, is that the same as the transformer and does that sound right that it is the magnatron?

Later

Reply to
bones

No, they are totally different devices. Did they tell you it was the magnetron after you complained that everyone else said the transformer was unlikely? :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

I would tell them to give me my microwave back and I would be taking it elsewhere to have it fixed. I think they are just trying to take your money or trying to get you to buy a new microwave. $400 is just insane.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

transformer

No, not remotely the same, did they even test it? It's pretty clear they don't want to fix your oven, they've named the two most expensive components, both of which are very easy to test. You're wasting your time taking it to those idiots, isn't there another repair shop in town? Ideally one that doesn't sell new appliances.

Reply to
James Sweet