Anybody tried Raspberry Pi OS yet?

Has anyone tried upgrading Buster to Raspberry Pi OS ? The YouTube link is

It's unstated what version of Pi is targeted, but the 4 seems most likely.

I'm using a Pi3B+, so it isn't very clear the change is helpful.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

As I understand it we have the same OS with some updates and a new name.

Reply to
ray carter

There will be blog post with all the details on raspberrypi.org today, they said. Like Ray says, it's just a different name and some updates. It should just be: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get full-upgrade, and maybe an additional apt-get install of some new/extra/optional components. I tried the upgrade on a Pi4 and didn't see anything new at first glance.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Oh, apparently you would see it on the boot splash screen but I have that disabled..

Reply to
A. Dumas

What "boot splash screen"? I have never, ever, run a Pi GUI! :-)

--
Chris Green
Reply to

That's rather my point. The biggest issue with the Pi3B+ is Chromium performance. Unless there's some improvement I see little incentive to fix what isn't otherwise broken. I watched the blog twice and didn't see anything relevant to video or chromium.

Under Stretch the "experimental GL driver" outperformed the legacy driver by a considerable margin. Now (under Buster) it's unusable, freezing when Chromium encounters web pages I visit frequently.

If it turns out that all upgrades/fixes will be available only under the new name there's obviously no choice. No clear word on that.

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

I decided to try a regular apt-get update apt-get upgrade apt-get dist-upgrade sequence and seem to have gotten the whole ball of wax. Lots of new libraries, a patch to chromium and a new kernel. And Bookshelf.

Unfortunately, the old bugs are still there. Chromium still inverts maps on the first redraw. The experimental GL driver still locks up the display if I look at

As a bonus, the Pi won't send audio to the headphone jack. Right clicking on the volume icon brings up the analog and hdmi choices, but only hdmi works, regardless of which is selected.

Anybody else seeing this sort of mischief on a Pi3?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Thats largely sales bullshit but also has quite a lot to do with high pixel counts being a lot cheaper than high quality glass lenses.

I use a Pentax Spotmatic F for many years. Would still use it if Ektachrome 64 slide film was available. Bought a Pentax K100 DSLR because it could use the Spotmatic lenses and has a nice, big 6MP sensor. Lovely camera except that it used AA cells and destroyed anything that wasn't ludicrously expensive within two charge cycles - and yes, I have high quality chargers which are used for more than just charging cameras.

Anyway, sometime later I bought a Pentax WG-1 for pocketability. Its waterproof, with a tiny glass lens and a 14MP sensor. Its usable, but its image resolution is about 3 times worse than the K100 thanks to its tiny lens mounted close to a tiny sensor. This is lost of resolution is immediately obvious in a side-by-side comparison of pics of the same subject.

Thats by itself is why anybody who's even semi-serious about photography needs a decent camera as well as a phone - and may well find that, now the phone isn't needed to take pics, that a feature-phone suits them better as well as being cheaper than a smartphone, its more secure too.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

On a sunny day (Sun, 31 May 2020 13:51:20 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Martin Gregorie wrote in :

I have 2 Canon A470 camera, those also uses 2 AA. I was experimenting last week with an other thing with 2 AAA and replaced one AAA with a dummy battery, and the other with a Lifepo4 (about 3.2 V nominal). Also checked the short circuit current (battery Zi) and it had no problem drawing 4A.. Batteries are in series. Works perfectly with AAA. So I have now ordered some lifepo4 AA and some AA dummy batteries. The 1500 mAh is not so incredible, but lifepo4 has very low self-discharge and the slightly higher voltage than 3V (beware max 8 when over-charged)

1500 mAh lifepo4 AA batteries
dummy AA batteries will see how it goes. With lifepo4 AAA and a dummy batteries things have been working great in my weather station, wireless keyboard and also in my dictation recorder.

I charge lifepo4 on the lab supply, set voltage and current limit, watch the time. An ebay seller ?accidently? did send me a lifepo4 charger a few years ago... That charger however limits the voltage to about 3.6V, while I go for 4.2 V... All batteries are still OK.

Yes been photographer since the sixties, did my own (BW) developing and had a Durst enlarger. When color came however I had it done.

What I like about the Canons is

you can program your camera to do all sort of things.

lifepo4 charge curve:

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 31 May 2020 16:43:04 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

I mean 4.2 of course.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The K100 uses 4 x AA.

This was a while back, and I'm convinced it had more to do with the very poor quality of NiMH batteries which were all that were available at the time. I eventually discovered Maplins Hybrids which worked well in it and didn't fail on 2nd or 3rd charge.

Four years ago I went to India and decided I needed to take something less bulky than the K100 + batteries + charger. The small Pentax was an obvious non-starter - no viewfinder and trying the see the backside display outside in Indian daylight was an obvious non-starter, so ended up buying a Panasonic TZ-70 bridge camera: electronic viewfinder, Leica lens, 12 MP. That has excellent resolution and is very good in low light

- so much so that its now my main camera.

Thanks to the TZ-70 I haven't tried putting Sanyo Eneloop batteries in the K100 but must try it. I bet that would solve the problem.

My preferred charger is a Ripmax Pro-peak Prodigy II (a model-flying charger) which both charges and measures capacity for SLA (lead-acid), NiCd, NiMH, Li-ion and LiPO chemistries, though its really only good for Li-ion and LiPO single cells since it doesn't do charge balancing.

If you need a good automatic charger/capacity measurement charger, the ones made for RC flying and electric models are a good place to start as they tend to be a bit cheaper than a lot of the stuff sold for charging phones/cameras/Li-ion power packs and are generally a lot more versatile in terms of what they can do, the battery chemistries they support, and multi-cell balancing - the latter ability is vital if you use multi-cell lithium batteries.

A very good battery chemistry. Somewhat lower capacity for a given battery size/weight than Li-ion or LiPo but a lot less prone to combustion when misused.

As with all of these Lithium-based chemistries, you should use a charger that has a charge/discharge profile for the specific chemistry of the cells you're using it with or bad things can happen.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

not for lifepo

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On a sunny day (Sun, 31 May 2020 17:25:47 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Martin Gregorie wrote in :

Yea OK, then you need 2 lifepo4 AA and 2 dummy batteries :-)

The big question for me is: will the slightly higher voltage damage my cameras? From an electronics design POV I would expect there to be a reasonable margin, not all AA are exactly > I was experimenting last week with an other thing with 2 AAA and

Nice.

I have been using Eneloops in the Canon now for several years, and that is the reason I want to test with lifepo4.

The eneloops have an operating voltage way below 1.5V so you get a low battery warning rather quick.

Yes I have 2 RC chargers for lipo, one for my Hubsan drone (2 cell) and one for my Axion Laser Arrow plane (3 cells), both have balancing.

Exactly, is is safer, I have tons of all sorts of batteries in the house and lifepo4 can be charged un-attended.

Yes, but single cells I often do manual on the lab supply as I know the profiles. Also I try charging at 1/2 C, takes longer, but often a bunch in parallel, little adaptor holds 4 AA or AAA.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 31 May 2020 18:46:23 +0100) it happened The Natural Philosopher wrote in :

?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 06:42:10 GMT, Jan Panteltje declaimed the following:

Not an answer but early 70s anecdotal...

Mamiya/Sekor 528TL was spec'd for an Everready S76* button cell -- silver oxide chemistry. People following store (manufacturer) "replacement battery" guides were often steered to a competing brand -- which used mercury oxide.

Then discovered that all their photos were incorrectly exposed.

Mercury oxide => 1.35V Silver oxide => 1.6V

  • AKA: LR44, 357, SR44

The camera that ate batteries was the Canon A-1. Especially on long exposures -- it could kill an expensive battery (PX28, A544, 4LR44 -- $6 for a 28Lithium version, though I think in the early 80s the cheaper alkaline was all that was available [and died faster]) during one 5 minute astro photo. The shutter mechanism used /electromagnets/ to hold the second curtain in place during the exposure, and turned it off to close the shutter. The EOS series made a great improvement on that by pulsing the electromagnet to activate the shutter curtain.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

On a sunny day (Mon, 01 Jun 2020 14:03:01 -0400) it happened Dennis Lee Bieber wrote in :

I have some Sony Super HAD 2 starlight PAL/NTSC video cameras in use a security cameras. Nice cameras, no IR light needed at night.

Did hang one out of the window on a half cloudy night:

starting at 33 seconds you see things move, planes? More near the end..

That inspired me to design and build a tracker for missile or laser gun control that only needs a bright dot to lock on:

Again it shows a simple PIC is often cheaper faster better than GB memory media players... Especially when speed, weight and power consumption counts like in a missile. If that fascist pig in the white house keeps at it, I may accidently open source the code. I mean the guy who has reporters from media that expose his lies shot at. F35 stealth my foot. F35 is just a tax payer money sucker.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I thought Barack was no longer president?

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most of us come here to get away from this sort of thing, pack it in.

---druck

Reply to
druck

On a sunny day (Wed, 3 Jun 2020 11:30:15 +0100) it happened druck wrote in :

Walking with eyes closed is dangerous.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

then open them

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

    - Leo Tolstoy
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher