Possible Raspberry Pi UPS

It's disappointing to see that even the aviation industry isn't immune to poor grammar and Jinglish labeling.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham.

out

batteries

as

UPS

have

about

use

Hacking for most flops at most efficient power reduction:

12Vdc is the output of many solar panels. Placing four double A Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-Mh) rechargeable in this charger compartment might supply a rPi around the clock.

So what's the lowest power display? LCD? And who's to say that during the day the tiny fluorescent tube or line of white LEDs at the bottom can't be augmented or illuminated by a solar lightpipe fiber?

I've got a 110V power mains UPS designed to charge what is essentially a

12V motorcycle battery, and recreates a pseudo-sine AC 120V with an inverter that draws off of the battery as it charges. I hacked it to also charge with solar panels and draw the 12V off an automotive battery directly to operate a 12V display HDTV LCD with tuner, DVD and several inputs - TV, NTSC Video, Component RGB (RCAx3), 2xHDMI and a PC xVGA 1080p. Starting with a full charge, and a two square foot solar panel, I can run just over 5 days and nights continuously in hazy overcast, and indefinitely with two bright sunny days (or more) a week. I haven't plugged it into the mains to charge it since the start of the hack, and it's reassuring I can tap a few minutes of 110V in an emergency with the inverter sockets. I can tinker with rPi (or watch TV,) charge my mobile phone and power the Ethernet/wifi network all while entirely off the power grid. Nobody is burning coal in my proxy to allow me to create digitally. And the setup could work just as easily in Peru and Bolivia as here in the suburbs of California.
--
  All ladders in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye have thirteen steps.
There are thirteen steps to the gallows, firing squad or any execution.

Thought most of the problem was down to the fact that there is enough "free" oxygen in the chemistry that once they get burning they don't need atmospheric oxygen to keep going. This makes 'em a tad difficult to put out...

I think more modern chemistry cells have less "free" oxygen so don't become self sustaining incendiary devices quite so easily.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm a little puzzled by that comment. Perhaps the total lack of seperation between the two side by side columns of text under the pictures gave you that impression?

--
Regards, J B Good
Reply to

...with at Least Two or More People.

(And)

Do Not Use the Ni-Cd Battery Charger and Any Other Battery Charger.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham.

I see what you mean now.

--
Regards, J B Good
Reply to

Hi,

Much simpler fro you is to use the UPiS from the

We are the manufacturer of it. Please check. Units are ready and will be av ailable very soon.

Best Regards

Reply to
info

On 12/08/2013 01:42, snipped-for-privacy@pimodules.com wrote: []

Thanks for that pointer. This looks like an interesting device, but also rather more complex (and perhaps more costly) than I would like for my own application.

Instead, how about a device with the same micro-USB 5-volt power socket as on the RPi, a lead which connects into the RPi, and that's all? I'm already using the 26-pin header on the RPi for my own connections and, in my experience, simply letting the power fail (as in pulling the plug) does not cause the RPi any problems. There's no need for a controlled shutdown.

A simple black-box approach....

Perhaps something like the "EasyAcc 12000mAh 4 USB External Battery Pack Charger Power Bank" would suit me better?

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Reply to
David Taylor

I kinda like that as well. Seems I could use this for the RPi and also for my cell phone and android pad. All in the same convenient unit. 8>)

The UPiS is a great device, yes, but David makes some great points. Allowing the RPi's interface to be free for other uses is the best.

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

are

so

own

as

in

oes

wn.

Hi, First of all, The UPiS leave free all pins of the P1 connector, it uses onl y the 5 V and GND, so you are free to use them as you like. In addition it offers so much extra features that I think make it very usef ul i.e. Triggers when power offs, automatic battery charging, automatic temper ature monitoring, etc. About the price - it is low, as much as possible if you take into account your time and all other compenents - the UPiS Basic with battery, USB converter, charger, thermometer etc.. costs about 35-49 e uro and is just plug and play. Of course it is not cove all requirements therefore you are alwayes able to find a simpler solution for you.

My Warmest Regards

Reply to
info

On 14/08/2013 22:43, snipped-for-privacy@pimodules.com wrote: []

Thanks for that clarification. It was not immediately obvious that there were stackable pins on the GPIO connector which allowed its continued use. Perhaps you might add a photo showing your module on an RPI, with and without further connections to the GPIO connector?

Oh, I just saw one photo in the downloads section. "Downloads" is normally where I would look for support information such as software/firmware upgrades and manuals. Actually, I think it would be easier to navigate your Web site if the main product page were HTML rather than PDF, so you could then add links to the photos and FAQ.

The price seems very fair, I look forward to reading some reviews of your products.

--
Cheers,
David

Look again. The pics under the downloads section do show the UPiS on an RPi, and the GPIO connector is NOT extended above it. So, no, it is not able to still be used once it is installed.

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

On 15/08/2013 13:56, Bill Garber wrote: []

--
Cheers,
David

The annoying animated GIF on the front page clearly shows a board with the GPIO pins extended. Also in the downloadable PDF it's labelled as "Stackable or top end RPi P1 connector", so extended pins are clearly an available option.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thank you... I stand correcticated... Maybe you can now lead me to price.

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

Still no sign of the board on their distributors' websites ... so no, I don't know what they cost. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Hi,

There are two versions of UPiS (stackable and non stackable) you can order with or without such pins. BR PiMOdules

Reply to
info

Wait a while, until next week, we will start distribution.

in any case please find here a description form the up-going manual.

------- System Overview Introduction The UPiS is an Advanced RaspberryPi® Powering add-on Module that incor porates except of the powering functionality a plenty of additional feature s. It is equipped with LIPO battery 1200/2600 mAh as also with buck/boost s witching power converter. There is no need for any additional cabling, as a smart current measurement system continuously checks powering voltage and current consumption, and based on it, when the cable power is absent automa tically switches to the battery source. During battery powering process it keeps checking power consumption and when cable power is available again, i t is switching to it automatically, and then the battery source off.

Applications The UPiS as an add-on Module is addressed to all users that need a power ba ck-up for the applications build based on the Raspberry Pi. There are plent y of applications that can be supported but the UPiS and starts from a simp le power backup for the server; going through embedded applications requir ing extended powering inputs like car computers, robotic; and ending on a s olar powered applications. The list of possibly applications where UPiS can be used is same wide as the Raspberry Pi itself. Due to additional feature s listed and described below UPiS is solving most of the common requirement s that users met during embedded applications build up.

Features Features of the UPiS Module are listed below and contain powering functiona lities, I/O functionalities, RTC functionalities, etc. There are: ? Supervised and Protected Powering from a various cable sources o RaspberryPi ® micro USB (5 VDC) o Additional micro USB (5VDC) o Extended External Powering Input (7 VDC ? 18 VDC)

? Battery Power Backup on each cable powering source (including ori ginal Raspberry PI micro USB) ? the UPS feature ? Onboard Rechargeable LiPO Battery (1150 mAh or 2600 mAh) ? Intelligent Automatic LiPO Battery Charger ? Additional Protected 5 VDC 140 mA output for user applications ? RaspberryPi ® Hardware ON/OFF Switch ? Embedded on Board Analog Temperature Sensor accessible via RS232 interface ? Onboard Protected 1-wire interface ? Onboard Protected I/O pin ? Onboard True 12 V RS232 interface to the external world ? Onboard True USB interface (RS232 ? USB Bridge) ? Onboard Normally Open Relay ? Programmable time RaspberryPi ® File Safe Shutdown button ? Embedded Emulated RTC (Real Time Clock) accessible via I2C ? Full monitoring over all UPiS Parameters via RS232 port: o Current Consumption o Voltage on each Power source o System Temperature o Battery Level o Powering source

? Programmable Triggers on various events i.e. powering change, low battery, high temperature, digital input pin change etc ? Time programmable RaspberryPi power ON/OFF based on RTC ? XTEA cryptographic Customer Software Protection ? Scripting Language ? System Basics UPiS Versions The UPiS Module is 100% Plug and Play; there is no need to setup anything. There is no need even to change the original micro USB power connection plu gged to your Raspberry Pi if you need to keep the old cabling as it was. Y ou will plug-in the UPiS Module to the P1 connector on the top of your Rasp berryPi® and just use it. UPiS Module solves all common powering probl ems and in parallel offering battery backup and plenty of additional featur es. There are two versions available UPiS Basic and UPiS Advanced, each one could be configured on order with top-end or stackable P1 connector. The d ifference has been shown on the pictures below.

Best Regards Pi Modules

Reply to
info

Well, I haven't had much use for the GPIO, yet, but, I may be using it in the future, so, if I do order a UPiS, it will be with the stackable header. Oh well, there goes my nice little compact case. I will definitely need to mount the RPi another way. 8>)

I don't know what kind of newsreaders these guys use, but, I am getting tired of all the extra ">> >>" that they throw in there. I am so OCD that I feel the need to reformat every post to which I am replying. Well, not every one... Some of them are not bad.

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:50:42 -0400, "Bill Garber" declaimed the following:

It's called "Google Groups"...

About a year ago GG appears to have been "updated". Since that time, the effect has been that NNTP formatted messages coming in from regular servers get transformed into HTML paragraphs -- on /each/ line-ending. Then when routing a reply out, a blank line gets added between each of these "paragraphs".

The result: any quoted quoted text migrating from GG to NNTP gets double-spaced... And more double-spacing for each round-trip quoting...

Dennis Lee Bieber