OT : Dog Latin

ISTR an urban legend about a hoax that was perpetrated with a terracotta pot, that had the inscription ...

ITI SAPIS SPOTANDA BIGO NE

... "It is a piss pot and a big one"

Those who learnt Latin at school (De Bello Gallica IV and Virgil's Aeneid, "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes") will remember also ...

Caesar adsum jam forte Brutus aderat Caesar sic in omnibus Brutus sic in 'at.

Se vili derdego Fortibus es in arro Dem nobus es demare trux Vatis inem cousan dux.

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

That's where native speakers beat me hands down, probably because I tend to pronounce something looking like Latin quite differently from how a Brit does. I got the first one.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

See, Willy, there they go, Forty buses in a row. Them no buses, them are trucks. What is in 'em? Cows and ducks!

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

Si senor, der diego forte lorez inaro demaint lorez demiz trux fullagoos anens andux

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

(scroll halfway down)

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Apr 2018 21:48:04 +0200) it happened Axel Berger wrote in :

My Latin sucks, I always think of that song:

I only speak 4 languages :-) And a few computah speaks.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"Caecilius est pater" etc. for me ... (I was amused when that family turned up on Doctor Who).

Carved into one of my school desks:

"Latin is a language As dead as dead can be It killed the ancient Romans And now it's killing me"

Gloria was sick in the van, Monday.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

And for a twist... Semper ubi sub ubi.

;-)

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to

Like clothing sickness? Breath coming in short pants