Help with barking dog

Hi all, Is it legal to make and use an electronic device to stop or annoy the hell out of a neighbours dog? I have a dog next to my computer room I would like to make a device that only the dog would hear and make it silent. Is this possable? If its possable I need to know the diagram, etc, to make myself or can you by them?

Thanks GK

Reply to
Gabriel Knight

not under any circumstances

I have a dog next to my computer room I

you need to take a video and present it and a complaint to the council after you have discussed the matter with your neighbour

Reply to
atec7 7

These devices seldom work as desired or as advertised. Disagreements between neighbours almost never end well. This irritating animal is probably someone's loved companion. Industrial grade earmuffs are fairly cheap, comfortable, and effective. If you think of earmuffs as a smart solution rather than a surrender, everyone wins.

Reply to
L.A.T.

Yeah sure, and in the prison shower block you can relax and enjoy Bubba's gentle show of affection! :)

Reply to
Royston Vasey

**Talk to your neighbour. If that fails, talk to the local government. It is easy enough to rent a device that fits around the dog's neck, that causes the barking habit to be curbed significantly. Usually, they're available from the local council or the local vet.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I caught a glimpse of "Gabriel Knight" on Tue,

25 May 2010 12:31:29 GMT, writing in aus.electronics:

The only sort of action that is legal in Australia is to report the barking dog to your local Council. They will probably ask you to record a log of when the barking takes place and on the basis of what the log contains they may take action.

--

 Erik
Reply to

nt.

Silicon Chip had a project for this a few years back. You could look up on their web page, search the net for their article, or buy the issue or article from them direct

I don't know if it is legal or not, but as long as you don't make the thing obvious, no one is likely to find out.

Having said all of this, I have no idea if the things work or not. We sometimes have a barking dog next door, but I don't worry too much about it, as at least it might give potential troublemakers second thoughts about coming onto their or our property.

Reply to
kreed

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

free software like audacity can make ultrasonic sounds, and you have a computer right where it's needed.

Jasen Betts

I obtained one on approval. Totally useless. It certainly didn't stop the dog from barking. Whether it annoyed the dog into barking more was difficult to tell, since the dog barked pretty much continuously anyway.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**What sort of device was it? I am aware of one type, that sprays an unpleasant, but harmless, chemical near the dog's nose, every time it barks. I know of a couple of people who rented these devices and they worked perfectly. In one case, it only took a week. In the other case, it took two weeks and the dog ceased barking. The other method I know of, but have serious misgivings about, is a surgical procedure where the dog is 'de-barked'. I've seen the results of that too.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The device emitted a very loud ultrasonic noise which was supposed to be unpleasant to the dog. The theory is that the dog recognises the link between barking and the noise, and thus desists.

The device you're talking about has to be attached to the dog, presumably by its collar. There are also devices, that I've had good reports on, that administer a mild electric shock when the dog barks (but bleeding-hearts got them banned in NSW[*]). However both such devices require the cooperation of the owner, and such options are not available of the owner is indifferent, or actually oblivious.

I eventually set up a microphone and sound activated recording software and created a log which I sent to the council. Only then to learn that the tenant was being evicted anyway.

[*] Apparently they are considered cruel, even though people have tried the devices on themselves, and the shock is no more than unpleasant. And the device is not as cruel as a brick through the dog's skull when the neighbour is not looking.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On Tue, 25 May 2010 12:31:29 GMT, "Gabriel Knight" wrote as underneath my scribble :

I think I have somewhere a circuit for working a high power cheap piezzo horn at ultrasonic F- would that be of any interest to you? Charlie+

Reply to
Charlie+