Dog Emitting RF?

Hello everyone,

This is an interesting puzzle that I can't explain so hopefully the bright people of s.e.d can help illuminate the situation.

Last night, as I'm laying in my bed and reading Rich Lyons DSP book to refresh my mind on some fundamental DSP issues my Labrador Retriever dog comes up beside the bed and is looking for his nightly "Good Night". This is all usual and predictable. At the same time we have a baby monitor running so that we can hear our 4 month old in another room.

So here's the wierd part: As I'm laying on my bed any time I touched the dog sitting on the floor to pet him there was static in the baby monitor. I experimented for a long time to see if I could get any more information: Every time my hand came in contact with his fur there was static in the baby monitor.

I couldn't really come up with any explanation outside of my dog somehow being an RF transmitter and me acting as an antenna. As much as that may explain it I don't think that is what is happening.

Here are a few physical details about the setup: The baby monitor transmitter is south of me by about 10' through a wood studded wall with drywall on both side. About 10' to the north of me is the receiver. Both the transmitter and receiver are powered from the same 110VAC circuit and have thus have the same ground. The only other metal I can think of in the equation is the springs in the bed I was laying on. The baby monitor also has a pad that detects movement and breathing and sets an alarm when these stop. I'm not sure what technology that is using.

So does anyone have any thoughts as to what was happening?

Cheers,

James.

Reply to
James Morrison

One thing I failed to mention is that I just had to touch the dog, there didn't have to be motion. I can see if I'm rubbing the fur that a static charge would be built up but if my hand is stationary wrt to the dog then how does that create a static charge?

Reply to
James Morrison

You should send a notice to the dog's manufacturer saying that he is in violation of FCC Part 15.

There may be an exception of the dog was sold only for use in commercial and/or industrial situations.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

there was a signal null like when you stop in a null and get noise on your FM radio in the car, you pull up 1 foot and you are out of the null. If you move the baby monitor transmitter or receiver one foot the noise will also probably stop. By chance, your position and the dog created a signal null.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

noise in

Does your bed have metal box springs, that might be acting as an antenna to the microwaves being emitted from the stealth black helicopter hovering over your neighborhood, charging up your body capacitance, which then gets discharged through the dog?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Great, now both I and my dog have to sleep with our tin foil hats on!

Reply to
James Morrison

Sno-o-o-o-ort! ROTFLMAO!

...Jim Thompson

Sounds like static electricity causing effects similar to lightning noise in an AM radio

--

Dan Hollands

1120 S Creek Dr Webster NY 14580 585-872-2606 snipped-for-privacy@USSailing.net

Dan Hollands

SHINY SIDE OUT.........

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hello Mark,

That's most likely. To test it James could place a large metal pail where his lab usually sits and then "pet" the pail. Should cause a similar effect. Of course, his dog will be very puzzled about petting a pail. If I was that lab I'd bark at it ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

What a pity you didn't include a hyphen in the title.

Dog-emitting RF would have been even more fun to explain. [Thinks: Radio 3 broadcasting a Bark recital?]

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Everybody knows that a dog emits an Asynchronous Redundant Fractal Format Signal (ARFFS).

(best i could do this time of day)

Reply to
Robert Baer

I think the folllowing ruff explanation may help you collar the problem :

"The Barkhausen criteria states that for a positive feedback system, oscillation will occur when the loop gain (product of forward gain and feedback gain) has a phase shift of zero (180 degrees for negative feedback systems) and a magnitude of unity. Genital licking should not be consdered as feedback, but rather as a loopback activity. "

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Hi there,

Static, dog, fur, cat in the follow-up -- Makes me think about static electricity... How about air humidity at that time, is it summer "over there", with dry air, and your dog's fur charging up as he moves? Just a thought...

Cheers, Thiemo

--
Query a PGP key server (e.g. http://www.pgp.net/) for my public key 41068629.
Strange sender address? Please see http://www.thiemo.net/misc/list-mail.shtml

Probably simple, it's a static "brush" discharge,

We acquired two cats (sisters) a while back,"Buffy" and "Sparky" My wife declared that "Sparky" was a daft name for a cat, so she became "Missy" But as soon as the dry weather set in, we discovered why she was called "Sparky" She is a menace to go near! and I have heard crackling on the radio when brushing her. Funnily enough "Buffy" does not display the problem.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

This is rather going to add to your puzzle rather than solve it.

I grew up in the a mountainous countryside in central Greece where thunderstorms and lightning is relatively common. Two of the rules for protection in case of thunderstorms were

  1. Do not seek shelter under a tree.
  2. Keep your dog away.

I've always thought of (2) as a local superstition. Your experience makes it rather more puzzling.

All I can suggest is that you tentatively replace your dog with a cat and see what happens -:) If your "experimental setup" is suitable for a reproducible experiment, you may finally resolve this superstition.

cheers,

Euthymios Kappos

Reply to
E. Kappos

No, it's because the lightning and thunder will scare them, and they could panic and run away.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise