Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?

I'm using an old Raspi 2 as Open VPN server to be able to contact my home
computers from workplace. Downloading files from my computers to workplace
will get about 3 or 3.5 MB/sec. Which speed could I expect when upgrading to
Raspi 3(B)? It's not only trasfering files from home to work or vice versa,
but remote desktop sessions are a little slow, especially when connected to
Linus server using xRDP on Linux site.
Running a complete pc for only having Open VPN will comsume to much energy,
so I'm loking for an alternative for the old Raspi.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance
Andreas

Re: Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?

a,
y,

if the rpi is used only for vpn and and there is only one connection at a t
ime, having a rpi2 or rpi3 doesn't change much. With the rp3 you have the a
dvantage that it's a quadcore, so if you have more connection the quadcore
is an advantage.
The issue with the rpi is that the CPU has no HW acceleration for encryptio
n.
For example (if I remember correctly) sending (or getting) a file through s
ftp via eth. had a speed of around 3MB/s on a rpi2 and 3.5MB/s on a rpi3 (o
n the rpi3 I could send/receive up to 4 files at 3.5MB/s, more and the spee
d dropped). The difference of throughput mirror the difference of clock of
the rpi.

If you need performance pcengines ALIX or APU (www.pcengines.ch) are much b
etter (they have a HW crypto engines).
http://www.fantaghost.com/openvpn-accelerator-on-alixboard-using-pfsense

Bye Jack

Re: Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?

Pi3+ has better throughput because of the gigabit ethernet port, but it?s
still connected on USB2 so it will not reach gigabit speeds, but still:
about 210 Mbps instead of 85 Mbps on the Pi2/3. Computing power is about
1.5x that of the Pi2, memory speed about 2x. Performance doesn?t come free:
power under load is more than 2.5x that of a Pi2, say about 5.8 W max. All
in all, definitely go for a Pi3+. Numbers via
https://medium.com/@ghalfacree/benchmarking-the-raspberry-pi-3-b-plus-44122cf3d806

Pi2 is also quad core.

Re: Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?

Thank you very much. It's worth to try it. I will purchase a Pi3+ model and
begin playing with ist.

Kind regards
Andreas

Re: Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?
declaimed the following:

    And while Raspbian is only provided in a 32-bit build, the 64-bit RPi3
is handicapped <G>

    However, I'd think one would need to also take into account the network
connection between the OPs "workplace" and the RPi. What sustained rates
can either end provide. (I went decades with a DSL service that only
reached 1.4Mbps on the best days, and on high humidity days when the sun
hit the phone company distribution box could drop to less than 512kbps [in
truth, the downlink tended to drop below the uplink rate which maxed at
384kbps]) I've been in places where the employee computers were on 10Mbps
Ethernet settings (while the shared interface to the outside world might be
a dedicated 100Mbps line).

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?

While the Pi is very easy to set up for VPN, if you are doing a lot of
RDP to other machines on your network, the Pi's ethernet will struggle
being in the middle of 4 way traffic.

 >> Any hints?

My recommendation would be to get a decent router with an Open VPN
server built in. It will offer you much faster RDP sessions to
everything on your LAN, and there is no risk of doing something on the
Pi which will stop the gateway (if the router has problems you are out
of business anyway).

I use an ASUS RT-AC68U, which supports OpenVPN, has lightweight NAS
capabilities and lots more.

Both the 2B and the 3B are quad core, but have the same Ethernet
performance. The new 3B+ has about 2.5x the ethernet performance of the
previous models.

---druck

Re: Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?

Your limit is the outgoing speed of your Internet connection at home,
yours is around 10Mbps? I wouldn't worry about the speed of the ethernet
interface.

--
Adrian C

Re: Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?

10Mbs? In the back end of nowhere perhaps, with 76Mbs fibre, its very
much an issue.

Plus as it's being used as a VPN it has to do double the speed of the
internet connection as its acting as the middle man in all connections.
Even if can manage this, there is also the issue of latency passing on
the packets which can greatly affect interactive use such as RDP.

For a VPN and RDP, you can never have too quick, and the VPN is done
much better by the router itself, rather than something with ethernet
limited in performance by USB as on the Pi.

---druck

Re: Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?

Sorry you mentioned outgoing speed, in which case make that 19Mb/s. The
rest of my points still stand.

---druck

Site Timeline