Open VPN Performance Raspi 2 vs. Raspi 3?

Hi,

I'm using an old Raspi 2 as Open VPN server to be able to contact my home computers from workplace. Downloading files from my computers to workplace will get about 3 or 3.5 MB/sec. Which speed could I expect when upgrading to Raspi 3(B)? It's not only trasfering files from home to work or vice versa, but remote desktop sessions are a little slow, especially when connected to Linus server using xRDP on Linux site. Running a complete pc for only having Open VPN will comsume to much energy, so I'm loking for an alternative for the old Raspi.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Bockelmann

a,

y,

if the rpi is used only for vpn and and there is only one connection at a t ime, having a rpi2 or rpi3 doesn't change much. With the rp3 you have the a dvantage that it's a quadcore, so if you have more connection the quadcore is an advantage. The issue with the rpi is that the CPU has no HW acceleration for encryptio n. For example (if I remember correctly) sending (or getting) a file through s ftp via eth. had a speed of around 3MB/s on a rpi2 and 3.5MB/s on a rpi3 (o n the rpi3 I could send/receive up to 4 files at 3.5MB/s, more and the spee d dropped). The difference of throughput mirror the difference of clock of the rpi.

If you need performance pcengines ALIX or APU

are much b etter (they have a HW crypto engines).

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Pi3+ has better throughput because of the gigabit ethernet port, but it?s still connected on USB2 so it will not reach gigabit speeds, but still: about 210 Mbps instead of 85 Mbps on the Pi2/3. Computing power is about

1.5x that of the Pi2, memory speed about 2x. Performance doesn?t come free: power under load is more than 2.5x that of a Pi2, say about 5.8 W max. All in all, definitely go for a Pi3+. Numbers via

Pi2 is also quad core.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Thank you very much. It's worth to try it. I will purchase a Pi3+ model and begin playing with ist.

Kind regards Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Bockelmann

On 23 Aug 2018 09:07:49 GMT, A. Dumas declaimed the following:

And while Raspbian is only provided in a 32-bit build, the 64-bit RPi3 is handicapped

However, I'd think one would need to also take into account the network connection between the OPs "workplace" and the RPi. What sustained rates can either end provide. (I went decades with a DSL service that only reached 1.4Mbps on the best days, and on high humidity days when the sun hit the phone company distribution box could drop to less than 512kbps [in truth, the downlink tended to drop below the uplink rate which maxed at

384kbps]) I've been in places where the employee computers were on 10Mbps Ethernet settings (while the shared interface to the outside world might be a dedicated 100Mbps line).
Dennis Lee Bieber

While the Pi is very easy to set up for VPN, if you are doing a lot of RDP to other machines on your network, the Pi's ethernet will struggle being in the middle of 4 way traffic.

My recommendation would be to get a decent router with an Open VPN server built in. It will offer you much faster RDP sessions to everything on your LAN, and there is no risk of doing something on the Pi which will stop the gateway (if the router has problems you are out of business anyway).

I use an ASUS RT-AC68U, which supports OpenVPN, has lightweight NAS capabilities and lots more.

Both the 2B and the 3B are quad core, but have the same Ethernet performance. The new 3B+ has about 2.5x the ethernet performance of the previous models.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Your limit is the outgoing speed of your Internet connection at home, yours is around 10Mbps? I wouldn't worry about the speed of the ethernet interface.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

10Mbs? In the back end of nowhere perhaps, with 76Mbs fibre, its very much an issue.

Plus as it's being used as a VPN it has to do double the speed of the internet connection as its acting as the middle man in all connections. Even if can manage this, there is also the issue of latency passing on the packets which can greatly affect interactive use such as RDP.

For a VPN and RDP, you can never have too quick, and the VPN is done much better by the router itself, rather than something with ethernet limited in performance by USB as on the Pi.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Sorry you mentioned outgoing speed, in which case make that 19Mb/s. The rest of my points still stand.

---druck

Reply to
druck