request for info..

Know lots about Linux, less about arm and very little about the Pis actual capabilities, so bear with me.

Target: a pi on awired Ethernet network with various bits of electronics hung round it that it controls and sense.

Say I buy a pi, and some kind of something to excite its electrons and a box to put it all in.

I need a flash card EXTRA to that to store its code? Ad that I somhow burn with - let's say - a debian linux image, and the thing then boots.

Now I want a headless machine controlled over the Ethernet. can theimage be pre-loaded with the correct IP address. telnet or sshd server, username and password? And of course a root password?

Once up,. I assume that I can 'apt-get' update it, and compile and run any custom code without need for cross compilation and/or removing the flash?

And provided I arrange power and keep the I/O pins within spec, I can do what I like in that direction?

Does the kernel as supplied have drivers for all of the IO? I am mostly interested in some sort of slowly moving A->D for environmental monitoring, and or driving relays to switch equipment?

I dont MIND hacking device drivers, but I'd rather not.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The SD card is effectively it's disk, so just think of it as that in a more traditional sense.

Yes - however to give it a fixed IP you'll need to edit some of the config files before you first boot your Pi with it.

Raspbian does enable sshd by default, so you can ssh into it headless the first boot, as long as you know its IP address.

It's easiest to just burn the image to the SD card, boot it, then ssh in, run the raspi-config program (which runs on the console on the first boot) that lets you do some additional configuration - the important one is to resize the SD image, as the one you copy to the card is only 2GB and you'll want a 4GB card or more. After that, well it's Debian Linux (called Raspbian as it's compiled for the Pi's hardware) There is no root password, but sudo is enabled, so you use that to set one, etc.

Yes. You can't normally remove the SD card when it's running - that's its "disk".

Mostly. It's a 3.3v device and there are current limits on the GPIO pins, but stick to the limits and off you go..

There is no analog IO hardware on the Pi. (There is PWM output though)

Easy to add SPI or I2C devices though.

There are kernel drivers for the GPIO, SPI, I2C and serial ports and there are additional libraries for your chosen programming language that offer more flexability (or just make it easy). My one is called wiringPi and gives you an arduino-like set of functions to a C/C++ (or Python/etc.) programs, as well as some 'helpers' to make accessing the SPI, serial and I2C busses a little easier.

/* * blink.c: */

#include

main () { wiringPiSetup () ; pinMode (0, OUTPUT) ; for (;;) { digitalWrite (0, HIGH) ; delay (500) ; digitalWrite (0, LOW) ; delay (500) ; } }

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Bit sad that :-(

yes..i had a browse around..

yes saw that. Nice bit of glue code :-)(

now need to find the right i2C transducer hardware.,,

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If your local DHCP server is set up properly, it'll be added to local DNS and you can ssh into it by name. Sadly, very few are, and most of the ones in DSL routers can't be.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

MMM thats isnt quite that simple, but if I knew the MAC address of the pi, I could set it up to boot into a defined place.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Connect it to your network, then check your arp table.

Reply to
Raymond Wiker

Yes - as others have said, a (typically) 4GB SD card is needed and should be thought of as its hard disk. the standard image has a DOS partition (manadatory, contains boot code) and an ext4 partition which contains the lot. They are targeted around a 4GB SD card. If you use a bigger one you can set up extra partitions.

Yes. Instructions are here:

Basically, you edit a few files on the SD card on your Linux or Windows box, plug it into the RPi and boot it up.

Yes. gcc is part of the standard setup, along with bash and the usual utilities such as grep, awk, Perl and Python.

Yes. There are various expansion boards, ranging upward from an unbuffered prototyping board via the PiFace (buddered IO, switches and relays) to the Gertboard (lots of stuff including an arduino socket.

Yes, plus libraries for accessing the GPIO bus. Many of the standard Debian libraries can be installed with apt-get.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:58:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher declaimed the following in comp.sys.raspberry-pi:

Or expand your world and stuff in an Arduino for the A/D (and added D/A [via PWM]) operations

Dennis Lee Bieber

well yes. I had hoped to appply Occams Razor "Do not Multiply hardware beyond necessity" :-0)