raspbmc and projectm

I've just installed (the latest) raspbmc to see how well it worked, and
whether it could replace an existing linux media player box.
I'm disappointed to see that the projectm visualization gives just a
black screen. Is this because it's not supported (needing an X server
that's not there)? Although I do see it's offered as a choice, and
there's a configuration screen. Or is there some missing magic to 'make
it go'?
TIA.
--
Mike Scott (unet2  [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England