installation

Hope someone can straighten out my thinking. On my RP2 I have got
Sonic-pi installed by default and this is run by clicking on
Menu/programming/Sonic Pi. This is version 2.6.
I want to upgrade to version 2.9 which is available on the Sonic Pi
web site.
So click on the download button and a tgz file goes into my downloads
directory.
Where do I go from here?
Malcolm Smith
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
In this there is no mention of sonic-pi. How does it know what to upgrade?
Malcolm
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
Done this but the splash screen for sonic-pi still says version 2.6!!!
Malcolm
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
That command tells your Pi to upgrade *everything* to the latest version. It may take a while, but you won't have to do any thinking.
Reply to
Rob
Den 2016-02-22 kl. 23:47, skrev T M Smith:
All installed programs are upgraded because there are lists in Raspbian with all installed programs. I think you should remove " && sudo reboot" from the above command line and reboot manually. I have upgraded using dist-upgrade and I have Sonic Pi 2.9 in Raspbian, but only 2.7 in Ubuntu MATE.
Reply to
M.O.B. i L.
Gerenally, make a directory, put the tgz file in that directory and then 'untgz' it with: tar xavf *tgz Then you'll probably have a 'readme' file of some sort. The procedure often goes: ./configure make make install
The latest version may not be ready for the Pi architecture, though. You may have to stay with the existing version.
The sequence: apt-get update apt-get upgrade apt-get dist-upgrade
will update all software with the latest versions in the repository.
Reply to
ray carter
Either you didn't follow the instructions or the update failed for some reason or another, or maybe your RPi is still on Wheezy (the previous Raspbian) and the sonic-pi version for that might not be up-to-date like it is for Jessie (the current Raspbian). That last one seems a stretch, though.
Reply to
A. Dumas
The above command will not upgrade the Pi from Wheezy to Jessie, if that was what was intended.
Anyway, when you post that method it would also be wise to include a step "apt-get clean" at the end (prefixed with sudo for those that believe that is a good thing). It will remove a lot of unused files and make space on the SD card.
Reply to
Rob
No, that was not my intention. Now that I think about it, though, it might not be so far-fetched to think that Wheezy repos don't get updated anymore [..google..] Ah yes :(

'clean' removes apt-cache info, too, I think? I don't know, I stopped using it. autoremove is a good idea though (but usually won't make much of a difference).
Reply to
A. Dumas
This is not normally a good idea with Linux it is best to stick with the version included in your distro's repository wherever possible.
when installed from the repo upgrades will get automatically applied along with any dependencies
compiling from source should be considered as a last resort when a suitable package is not available
--
Cursor, n.:
	One whose program will not run.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
"clean" removes all those downloaded packages that were installed but are still cached. They serve no purpose, and can be downloaded again. However, on a 4GB or less card they take up an appreciable fraction of the space after a large update, which increases the SD card wear.
Reply to
Rob
"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners."
Lenin.
Reply to
Hils
Yes. I agreed. *And* I pondered that 'clean' also removes apt-cache info.
Reply to
A. Dumas
"compiling from source should be considered as a last resort when a suitable package is not available"
Actually that's one of the few ways to insure/verify that the run-time version really matches the source. I un-fondly remember an OEM that failed to update source and documentation concerning a reset command. The system was applying about 15v DC to test devices on reset when it, by documentation and "officially released" source code, should have applied only 5vdc. It ended up costing the customer thousands in lost time.
Reply to
Charlie
I'd just like to say Horse Shit in reply.
Reply to
mm0fmf
Well I am glad you got that off your chest!
I have to say that I cannot agree. My main reason for ditching debian (stable) on the desktop was that whenever the distro supplied application did not work, but the bug was fixed upstream, and I tried to compile a newer version I ended up in 'dependency hell' needing to also install and compile libraries which then often as not were incompatible with the existing applications.
Moving to Mint, at least gave me access via the distro to applications not much more than a year out of date.
And being ubuntu based, as often as not adding a new PPA would get me a supported version of the new code compiled for the libraries I had already. And installable by the normal apt-get methods.
If you routinely compile everything from source and are happy with a relatively unstable installation, by all means carry on. Most are not.