New router

I have just changed to Plusnet Fibre and so have a new router and BT
openreach mmodem.
My problem is the raspberry pi is not joining my network.
My W7 m/c when pinging the Pi says no lost data.
However the Pi seems not able to contact the network.
I have entered the new router wifi network name and passkey into the
network/interface file but the wifi config icon throws up only blank
windows not even showing Wlan0 in the window.
What have I forgotten??
Malcolm Smith
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
Is the new router using the same subnet as the old one? (most are on 192.168.1.0/24 but one I replaced a year or two back was on 192.168.7.0/24. I reconfigured its replacement to use the 192.168.7 subnet because that was easier than changing all the other boxen and the local DNS configuration.
Are the W7 box, the RPi and anything else dependent on that router getting their IPs assigned by the same DHCP server? Are they all using the same WiFi encryption standard, etc.?
--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
Have you got the Pi set to static IP address? If so check that the IPs addresses used by the router haven't changed. It could be using a different subnet, which will stop anything seeing the Pi or vice versa. If using a different address on the same subnet, the default gateway on the Pi needs updating or it wont see the internet.
BTW: When I upgraded to fibre 6 months ago they were supplying the utterly shit Thomson/Technicolor router, who's Wireless-N wouldn't do 38Mb/s, so slower than the fastest fibre speed of 80Mb/s. I replaced it
cards in the laptops. The wireless is now interference free on 5GHz and will outpace fibre speeds for a good few years to come.
Importantly the configuration of the router is far easier, and I was able to set it up with all the same address details as my previous router, so I didn't have to alter the static addresses on my 3 Pi's.
---druck
Reply to
druck
I have looked at tthe router settings using 192.168.1.254 and it lists Devices connected to my router. The pi is listed at address 192.168.1.90 which is correct. However if I launch WFI Config on the Pi I have a blank display. If I try to enter the new details ,ie SSID, Authentification and PSK on pressinf the 'ADD' button I get the error 'failed to enable network in wpa_supplicant configuration' Which entry is this refering to?. All my addresses are static by the way.
Malcolm
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
[]
I found that the GUI was a waste of time here, and I've always configured from the command line with nano. Here's one link I found just now:
Cheers,
David
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Taylor
I have tried to edit and save wpa_suplicant.conf but failed. Even using sudo and root. It will not allow the file to be overwritten nor can I change a file name to that required. Can someone educate me please.
Malcolm
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
Managed to make the changes now but WiFi config still does not swing into action. Does not even show the dongle though on boot -up it does say that wifi is already configured.
Enough for tonight/ ggod night
Malcolm
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
If your Windows machine is pinging something but your rPi is not on the network then what is the Windows machine pinging instead of your rPi?
What happens from the Windows machine's point of view when you switch the rPi off?
Reply to
mm0fmf
Ian ping the Pi from the ARMX6 using 192.168.1.90 with no data loss. I can ping 192.168.1.90 from the W7 with no data loss if the Pi is online. With the Pi off line I get data loss. If I ping the W7 192.168.1.30 from the Pi I get data loss as I do pinging the ARMX6 (192.168.1.20). However the data loss is around 20%, not 100%. If I try to set up the WiFi Config app on the Pi it always fails with 'Failed to enable network in wpa_supplicant configuration' on pressing the 'add' key. My Nexus can see all the computers using Fing and ES file explorer.
Malcolm
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
Tricky one. Try running something computationally intensive on the Pi and ping it from one of the other computers to see if you get any packet loss in that direction then. If so the Pi may not be supplying sufficient power to drive the Wifi dongle unless it is idle.
---druck
Reply to
druck
Tried that by having a game running while pinging and got 7% to 10% packet loss. Tried different dongle with no difference.
Malcolm
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
My conclusion is the setup is wrong on the router or the Pi or both.
It used to work with the old router. So the Pi hardware works.
It works for W7.
It only doesn't work where you have had to change files or settings.
That tells you where the problem is.
Reply to
mm0fmf
[snip]
I have changed the setting in /etc/network/interfaces to the new WiFi Network and password key, and that did not appear to work in as much as WiFi config contained no info. I then followed instructions on WiFi connection pointed to by Dave Taylor which involved entering data into etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.
None of which as resulted in WiFi Config working as expected. If I enter the neccesary data into the network config panel and press 'ADD' I get the error 'failed to enable network in wpa_suplicant configuration. From this I assume I have something incorrectly set in one or both of the above files. If I knew what I would correct it. Before I went to the new fibre router I did not know about wpa_supplicant so it was using default settings.
Malcolm
--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith
The bits that no longer work are the bits you've edited. So that suggests the problems are related to those edits. When you review the data so far it all points to your edits.
Undo all the changes and start again. And do it carefully. You have "previous form" when it comes to SNAFUing edits on Python scripts so it may seem harsh to say but the problem is most likely going to be "fat fingers" on the latest edits.
Reply to
mm0fmf