Upgrading GPSd on the Raspberry Pi

It seems that the most recent NOOBS ships with gpsd version 3.11-3.

However, upgrading an earlier RPi model B with apt-get upgrade and rpi-update updates the OS to 4.1.21+ #872, but leaves gpsd at 3.6! What am I missing? Short of recompiling gpsd from scratch, which I don't really want to do,is there an easier way to get gpsd 3.11 onto this RPi?

--
Thanks,
David

Really? I wouldn't expect gpsd to be in the standard distro, seems a niche package. It isn't on my Pis, but those were Raspbian downloads instead of Noobs and not the most recent one.

Unrelated to gpsd but as a rule, don't use rpi-update if you want a stable system. Did you first do "sudo apt-get update" to get the most recent package list? I did and now "apt-cache show gpsd" says "Version:

3.11-3" so if I had an older version on my system, an upgrade or dist-upgrade would get that newest version. This is on Jessie. Maybe your old Pi is still on Wheezy?
Reply to
A. Dumas

You may be able to find a later version (from testing/unstable) within the raspbian repositories.

It may not work if dependencies are different of course

Depending on your model of Pi you may also be able to install a version from debian armhf - same apples re. dependencies.

fruit

Reply to
fruit

Yes, what I did was to install gpsd following a fresh install of NOOBS/Jessie on a fresh RPi-3. This gave me 3.11-3.

On checking with cat /proc/version, I discovered that the RPi was still on Wheezy, which rather surprised me! However, I then upgraded to Jessie by altering the apt sources and, after a rather long process, I found that the gpsd was now 3.11-3, allowing my new C program to work correctly.

Thanks for triggering me into checking the OS version!

--
Cheers,
David
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Taylor

I updated the RPi to Jessie and managed to get gpsd 3.11 that way. Looks like 3.6 is the limit for Wheezy.

--
Thanks,
David
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Taylor

I was just about to ask if you where still on Wheezy, as both Jessie and Ubuntu Mate have 3.11-3. I'd urge all Raspbian users to upgrade to Jessie, or you will increasingly find yourself stuck on old packages, and unable to follow advice given here.

---druck

Reply to
druck