Printing from.

I am still attempting to print from my raspberry Pi without success.

I have installed CUPS on the Pi I have added one printer, a brother laser which is in another room. I am using WiFi and Uniprint. The pi picked up the presence of the Brother and listed it. I can print a test page on the brother when requested from the Pi, but I cannot print a small file already on the Pi using lp or lpr in the command window. That is with the file name of cause. I get the error 'no default printer' or similar message.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong.

Malcolm Smith

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire

It sound like you haven't specified the system default printer and you aren't giving a printer name with the lp command.

You can set the default using "[sudo] lpadmin -d PRINTERNAME" replacing "PRINTERNAME" with the name of the print queue you created for your printer.

Reply to
Dom

Thanks for the info Dom but I am still not there. I set the default has you suggested guessing Laser was the entry required for PRINTERNAME since the queued jobs have reference no's laser-12 for example. This appears to come from the fact that I entered a 'class' called laser. But I am probably wrong since nothing comes out of the printer.

lpq tells me the owner is 'null' and the file is 'untitled'. I am using the full path to the file eg /home/pi/pwm4.py.

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Success!!! Realised my print jobs were being 'Witheld'. Playing about I tried 'Move job' which gave me a choice of 2 printer names. Changed to the alternative and the file printed. So htough I ahve a single printer on the system I have 2 names so confusion. Now to cleanup my act.

Thanks for the prodding Dom

Malcolm