how to install arch Linux is on SD

Hii.....I downloaded the arch Linux torrent file....but there was no image file in the .zip ......plz tell me how to install the torrent file on SD card(in windows)..... Plzzz

Reply to
kaustubhwarade1212

Dana Mon, 13 Oct 2014 05:45:41 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com napis'o:

Torrent file is mad for downloading the image. You first have to download it using some program that "talks BitTorrent". rtorrent or micro torrent.

Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic

Mmm...I installed utorrent 1st....

Reply to
Kaustubh Warade

Dana Mon, 13 Oct 2014 05:52:27 -0700 (PDT), Kaustubh Warade napis'o:

Ok... then feed it to utorrent and then it will download the image.

Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic

Actually i fed the file......the file was downloaded .....but how to install it???

Reply to
Kaustubh Warade

Well, it only took a couple of minutes to download on my broadband connection, so I've taken a look. It's a tar.gz of the filesystem, which is a bit of a pain. If I _had_ to mess around with installing it, this is what I'd try first:

Burn Raspbian to a SD-card. Mount the SD-card partitions on my PC. Erase all the files. Copy the Arch boot partition into the small FAT32 partition. Copy the rest to the larger ext4 partition. See if that worked on the Pi.

Or just use Raspbian instead.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Ah, the OP said it was .zip. This explains why the file in the archive was not an image. On windows one first extracts the .gz, then the .tar. There should be an image or whatever inside.

I have not played around with arch, but why not just follow the guide:

If I _had_ to mess around with installing it, this is

Writing to ext4 is not that simple in windows

good call.

Reply to
Stefan Enzinger

Thnkszzzz.......I'll try it..

Reply to
Kaustubh Warade

Hey but the page says how to install it in Linux...........BTW thnkzz for the reply....

Reply to
Kaustubh Warade

The page links to the "Easy SD Card Setup" page that has instructions for Windows/Linux/Mac

These instructions in turn are useless though, as there is no image in the archive. But the rootFS.

Now that i downloaded the file i agree with Dave's instructions. You will need a linux machine to install arch. If you don't have access to a linux machine, then you don't want to install arch. It's just way too hard for beginners.

Stick with NOOBS and debian.

Reply to
Stefan Enzinger

Kk.....thnkzz

Reply to
Kaustubh Warade

I queried the Arch Linux issue at the Raspberry Pi official forums and it seems that they'll delete it from the download page for now.

Dave Farrance

Does that mean I should download a new image file.......

Reply to
Kaustubh Warade

If you have to ask what it all means, then don't use Arch because it's not making things easy at the moment. Use Raspbian which provides an SD image.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Kk....thnkzz for the help...???????? ??????

Reply to
Kaustubh Warade