RPi-set, what Linux version on the Micro SD card?

Hi all,

I'm new in this newsgroup and I have just started with this Raspberry PI set:

Now I wonder what Linux version is on the Micro SD card and USB stick. Because that's not clear to me. Can somebody tell me that? To be sure I had an extra Micro SD card ordered, for electronica project and programming in Python. For example with the Pibrella.

On the Micro SD card, the command 'uname' doesn't work, if I only use the Micro SD card.

When I use the USB stick, then I see an OpenELEC version, I assume this is on the USB stick.

I want to use the RPi also for electronics projects. If you want to do that, do you have to use another Micro SD card or not?

Like I said, I also want to program in Python. I saw that there was already installed a version of Python.

I hope anybody can tell me this.

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl

Unfortunately I do not speak (or read) Nederlands.

possibly raspbmc

on the SD

that sounds plausible.

AIUI most people are using rasbpian.

It's a programming language

umop apisdn
Reply to
Jasen Betts

That looks like a kit designed to run the Pi as a media player using either XMBC or OpenELEC.

That is one way but involves swapping cards about. Think I'd wander over to

and install NOOBS onto either a new 8 Gig (or bigger) card. This will enable you to boot the Pi into which ever OS you want at the time.

It would be best to boot into Raspbian for that.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What you've bought is a "Media Bundle". It's a Pi and peripherals with the XBMC medai distridution pre-installed. It's designed as a "set top box" type of thing to play movies. It's not really a general purpose programming systems. (Although it's based on Raspbian which is base on Debian, so it can be made more general purpose)

However... What I stringly suggest you do is to simply download a copy of Raspbian and re-flash the SD card with that and off you go. You can still play movies, even re-install XBMC, but if you want to do development, etc. then the standard Raspbian is probably your best bet.

I'd also strongly suggest NOT overclocking it to 1GHz until you're confident the system is working well for you, then using the rpi-setup program, you can overclock it to whatever you like.

Start here:

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok. By the way..without the USB-stick, I only got a prompt that's looking for the USB-stick..

Ok. I think I install this on the extra SD-card and keep the original SD-card for XBMC.

Yes, I know. ;-) I have also ordered the Pibrella for that.

This is also a nice site to get started with Python:

Thanks!

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

Gordon Henderson formuleerde de vraag :

Ok, I was not going to overclock the RPi.

Thanks! I'm going to use an extra SD card for Raspbian and I don't change the original card. If anything goes wrong, I still have the original card.

Is ' Raspbian ?wheezy? ' the only version of Raspbian for the RPi?

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

That's correct.

I guess NOOBS is allready on the original SD card.

So swapping SD cards is the best solution for my projects?

Thanks!

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

wander

onto

the

If it is after the colored square you'll get acreen telling you to pres shift(?) to get to the NOOBS setup, that'll time out aftera few seconds, then there will be a screen showing all the available OS's which will also time out aftera few seconds and boot into the OS last used.

I suspect the supplied card only has XBMC on it.

Personal preferance, I'm not convinced of the robustness of the SD slot and messing about with or losing fiddly little cards. So would would go for NOOBS and just boot as required.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Without the USB-stick this is what I get on the screen:

The Pi start with a '_' no colours.

*** Error in mount_flash: mount_common: Could not mount /dev/sda1 ### Starting debugging shell... type exit to quit ### ssh: can't access tty; job control turned off

When I type 'exit' I get an Openelec picture and after two seconds the same lines above.

Okay.

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

Jessie aka. "testing" is available too. Mostly. Personally I'm sticking to Wheezy aka. Stable.

-Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Gordon Henderson formuleerde de vraag :

Okay.

I have also asked the shop about the linux version. They talk about "Gotham 13.0", is that a Linux version? Not a program running on Linux?

Also they told me this:

--
You have a B + Turbo model.

Micro SD + USB plug both. (Combination work together)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

I think the "shop" you bought it from aresomewhat lacking in information...

"Turbo" refers to software overclocking on the RPi. It's set through a configuration file on the (micro) SD card. There is no specific hardware model other than the B+

The Micro SD controller is completely separate from the USB interface. You can use them both at the same time.

Not using the microSD for anything other than booting the Pi is good - as the operating system, utilities, etc. reside on the SD card, however you can use the USB for whatever you like...

"Gotham" is a codename for a particular release of XBMC - which is a media-centric version of Raspbian for the RPi.

What do you want to do with your Pi? If you want to use it as a "set top box", then stick to the XBMC version you have, however if you want it general purpose, then either re-flash the SD card with Raspbian, or buy a separate SD card and put Raspbian on it.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Gotham is XBMC media centre software.

There is no such thing as a "B+ Turbo" model. I think they mean a "B+" with "Turbo overclock settings in software".

You can put any Pi software you like on another Micro SD card and use that instead of the supplied Micro SD and USB stick.

Reply to
Dom

Gordon Henderson formuleerde op maandag :

I als thought that they meant overclocking with "Turbo". I have found the configuration file.

In my setup they work together.

So I can also use an extra USB-stick?

Ok.

I want to use the Pi for XBMC and also for projects like 'Pibrella' and 'Seven Segments of Pi'. To learn some programming with Python. I have also ordered an extra Micro SD card for these projects.

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

That's correct.

Yes I did. See my reply to Gordon.

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

I buought a couple of Raspberries there and the kit that you ordered is dedicated to XBMC and not suitable for general-purpose work because it has its own software upgrading/downloading feature dedicated to its use as a media player.

Either get another micro-SD card and use that for whatever OS you like, or buy another Pi with card. The latter is a better solution because you can leave your XBMC set wired to the TV and the card and USB stick installed, while you have your second Pi on your desk connected to a monitor and keyboard for programming.

Experience shows that the whole thing keeps working longer when you don't plug/unplug everything all the time.

Reply to
Rob

Okay, I have bought another micro-SD card. I try this first with the RPi, maybe later I will buy another RPi. Only a RPi is cheap, but it get more expensive with the other things I will buy. ;-)

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

Yes that is so nice about the Pi, you can do different experiments because you can change the entire personality of the device just by swapping the SD card. And when you have decided you want to keep something working as a useful device, you get another Pi and you can continue to work with your existing collection of cards. Only the B+ has broken this concept a bit because of the change from SD to micro-SD, but that should not affect you as you came in late and can use B+ exclusively or use an adapter to put micro-SD cards in an SD slot.

(I have a collection of 3 Raspberry Pi, one with camera, and 6 SD cards and when I would get a B+ I can no longer use my existing cards with that)

Reply to
Rob

Yes, sounds like lots of fun!

Today I got a Pibrella and the "Seven segments of Pi". I also bought an extra Micro SD card. So I have 3 Micro SD cards now.

The electronic parts I had to solder on the Seven segments of Pi. That was a bit exciting, because I have little experience with that. So far it went well.

Only the installation of NOOBS does not go well. Because the keyboard and mouse are not recognized on the first boot. This is a problem of RPi B +. I'm still working on it. Now I'm going to try the latest version of Noobs...

To be continued. -)

--
mvg, Jos
http://www.noordlaarderbos.nl
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jos

Jos beweerde :

Keyboard and mouse are reconized with Noobs 1.3.9. ! Still installing the software. I got a message the OS with the Seven segments of Pi is too old and could cause some problems. But I ignored that. I hope an update will correct any errors if there are any.