Is it possible to install a smart card reader on an embedded Linux?

My newbie's question, please teach me.
Is it possible to install a smart card reader on an embedded Linux?
And how?

Thanks!

Re: Is it possible to install a smart card reader on an embedded Linux?

1) Yes

2) There seem to be lots of types of those cards: with contacts and
contactless, with RAM, ROM or P... So I suppose there are a lot of
different interfaces. I suppose you need a dedicated device driver for
the card in question and for the kind of card adapter you intend to use.
Maybe there are  standard adapters (e.g. connected via USB) that cam
read some types of cards and maybe Linux device drivers for those are
already available.

-Michael

Re: Is it possible to install a smart card reader on an embedded Linux?
Thank you Michael,
What I was thinking is how to construct a secure server by a simple and
customised Linux.
Therefore it needs a smart card reader, crypto modules and maybe network
modules besides the simple kernel.
Is there a commercial product constructed this way?

Re: Is it possible to install a smart card reader on an embedded Linux?

The AT91RM9200DK has a smart card reader on it.
It was recently replaced by the AT91RM9200EK without the smartcard reader
but you may be able to get hold of some boards anyway.
/Ulf