  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: A free version of Labview

Blech.  Now there'll be no escaping it. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

What are you talking about???

This is a discussion group.  You don't think people should discuss things?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: A free version of Labview

Where on earth did you get that idea?  I just despise LabView, and now
it'll be everywhere.

"Ah, LabView: spaghetti code that even _looks_ like spaghetti."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Lol, I hardly thing this is the beginning of the total desctruction of engineering as we know it.  What do you dislike about it?

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: A free version of Labview
Release date is...  November or early next year.

See the quote.  LabView code is at least as hard to debug as a
spreadsheet--easy for trivial cases, but very difficult in complicated
ones.

Plus a lot of stuff goes on at the driver level that you don't have
access to from user code.  For instance, last time I checked there was
no way to find out from user code whether your multichannel MUXed ADC
card was sampling all the channels as close together as possible, or
helpfully spacing them out evenly within the sample period.

That matters a lot in instruments where you're doing significant amounts
of signal processing.

I wouldn't care, except that some customers really want to use LabView
with our stuff, and supporting that is painful as well as unproductive.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ommunity-edition-coming-soon/>

So you are saying your customers want you to work in LabView?  Isn't it eas
y enough to say you don't do that???  When I get calls asking me to bid on
an electrical wiring job I don't have any trouble telling them I don't do t
hat.  Actually, next time I think I'm going to tell them I'd love to bid on
 it as soon as we get our license back after the big fire.  The fire marsha
l never said they could prove it was our fault.  That company should have h
ad better insurance!!!

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: A free version of Labview
Release date is...  November or early next year.

Of course.  But since we're moving to an IP licensing + NRE model, it's
economically important to make it easy for the customer to use our stuff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs