Simulator of choice?

Hello All,

What would be your schematic simulator of choice? I have used several simulators, however neither of those were perfect for the mixed signal work. It is not good when you have to spend hours tweaking the spice simulation settings and then even more hours waiting for the result. It would be nice to export/import the data to/from a spreadsheet. A user friendly and easy to use would be a plus, too. So, what would you recommend?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

LT Spice.

John

Damn...I should have placed a bet on LTSpice popping up first.

I've dropped... Mulitsim (The new Electronics Workbench) Electronics Workbench Orcad Circuitmaker 2000 Protel Microcap

to use LTSpice. But that's just me.

I found the collaboration features in the bigger packages interferred with a quick learning curve for the lone designer.

I have to say..I'm sick and tired of learning simulators :P

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Crap, and unethical crap to boot.

Circuitmaker is pretty good, but LT is free and better.

John

I looked at LTSPice several years ago. It seemed rather primitive to me, however I may be wrong. Also, they are probably ahead by many versions now. What is good/bad about LTSpice?

Any alternatives to LTSpice?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Well, I don't sim extremely sophisticated stuff, but...

  1. The computing kernal has be written for speed, especially for switching regulators, which need to sim long time intervals with short time steps.

  1. All the LTC device models are available.

  2. It's easy to use and doesn't crash.

  1. It's free, but support is good.

  2. The sim schematic/parameters are stored as an ascii file, which can even be posted here, in a non-binary ng.

  1. There aren't any extra-cost options or any dongles or any of that nonsense.

  2. The schematics and graphs look good.

John

John Lark>[...]

  1. The schematics and graphs look good.

  1. Mike makes sure it works under WINE as well so the Linux folks aren't left out in the cold.

Reply to
JeffM

Unfortunately I find the graphical capabilities in the output not up to the level I need to show my clients, otherwise I'd be a user.

By popular demand ;-), I'm becoming a multi-simulator person... now using Cadence Virtuoso/Composer, soon will also be using SMASH and SPE, and a sales person peddling SLED is visiting on December 13.

...Jim Thompson

I'm a solid user of Intusoft's spice. I'm interested in a spice engine that's thoroughly up to date, including Georgia Tech's XSpice extension, etc., and other critical advanced features, such as individual temperatures for each part, analog, mixed-signal and digital simulation, nested component sweeps, Monte Carlo statistical analysis, worst-case and extreme-value analysis, script languages, etc. Many modern spice products include most of these features, although I think many are missing from LTspice.

I agree, no dongles. I want a very good parts library; Intusoft's 23,000 parts is a good start. Next, I want an easy intuitive and capable schematic-entry program, and a powerful yet attractive output-plotting program.

Finally, in both cases I want publication-ready output capabilities. That's an area in which Intusoft shines. It's easy to create detailed analysis documents in Word or Open Office, and with their vector figures, export them to Illustrator for high-quality publication editing.

They do have a free version, which supports most of the capabilities mentioned, except Monte Carlo analysis, etc. It has a modest library (although you can make unlimited additions to it). It does have a rather severe component limitation. I often model just a small part of my circuit, and for those cases could accept the free program's limit.

Reply to
Winfield

Hello all,

I wouldn't overestimate X-SPICE. It never has become a standard. Nearly every SPICE has different device primitives if it comes to digital devices. LTspice has very efficient digital and mixed signal device primitives (A,B-devices).

It's all in LTspice except the IBIS-translator.

An IBIS-translator is useful for signal integrity simulations of PCB-boards. Therefore also special models for coupled tranmission lines should be available. Some SPICEs have this IBIS-translator, but definetively lack good device models for coupled transmission lines. HSPICE, ELDO, ADS and some others have IBIS-translators and good models for coupled transmission lines.

There are some basic functions mc() for MonteCarlo. It's not as much as I have seen in some other SPICE programs.

Can be done with a little bit effort.

LTspice has a powerful stepping of parameters/values.

LTspice has the powerful .MEASURE commands as you have in some very expensive commercial SPICEs like HSPICE.

OK, maybe some feature requires a little bit more effort to get the same functionality.

LTspice can be run in batch mode for optimization tasks.

The parts library is indeed a plus if you buy a SPICE.

In LTspice, I have to search for it on the manufacturers web pages. On the other hand, LTspice is so compatible to PSPICE, that nearly every of the downloaded models is working out of the box in LTspice.

LTspice can export wmf-files of schematics and waveforms.

The simulation output data can be exported into a file for further processing by external programs.

I have never seriously used demo versions since the advent of LTspice about 6 years ago.

Best regards, Helmut

PS: I am not an employee of LTC.

The LTspice user group I am one of the moderators of this group.

LTspice program

LTspice manual

LTspice features live. Just unzip this file into an empty folder. Then view the PowerPoint document in this zip-file to see all the features of LTpice.

Helmut Sennewald

We just yesterday designed two Cuk (well, one of them is Cuk-like) dc/dc converters. Both accept +12 volts and one delivers +5 to +15, and the other -5 to -15, so we can power various opamps on different versions of a board. LT Spice did it in a flash. We started from one of their reference designs, so most of the parts were already in place, so we had minimal work to rearrange connections and values, and tweak the loops. So they sold us some parts.

After struggling with nasty issues on a dual-output flyback (leakage inductance snubbing, chip breakdown voltage, cross-regulation, custom magnetics) the separate switchers were a pleasure to whip out.

The LTC regional manager and local sales rep have called on us a couple of times recently (and we're a very small operation) and have been very helpful. Unlike Maxim, you can actually get their parts.

John

I am using Tina , a download freebie obtained through TI.

Several upgrades are available, starting at $50 , if I remeber correctly. On the free version, you get the TI + BB models plus some generics, and may add libraries and edit models on the upgraded versions.

Jure Z.

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups
[snippage]

I read somewhere that a significant portion of LTC's business is from smaller firms. They have great support with their roving applications folks and sampling policies, even for small-change companies like ours.

--
Mark
Reply to

I am using Tina , a download freebie obtained through TI.

Several upgrades are available, starting at $50 , if I remeber correctly. On the free version, you get the TI + BB models plus some generics, and may add libraries and edit models on the upgraded versions.

Jure Z.

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

With careful thought and planning, this can really help in the design process.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Having tried multisim before this "acquisition" no wonder it is bad. BTW why the unethical? EWB used to be OK.

Reply to
JosephKK

Jim Thompson snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

If that is the SLED i suspect it is it will include gEDA and friends (GAF) as an optional install.

Reply to
JosephKK

Winfield snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Is that a free schematic editor type spice (ICAP) or just barefoot spice?

I have an old, old, DOS version (just spice).

Reply to
JosephKK

Jure Newsgroups jure@get_a_life.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Hmmm. That might be an interesting comparison.

Reply to
JosephKK

I have no idea yet. Because of my notoriety I have all kinds of simulator vendors wanting me to try (and endorse) their version ;-)

...Jim Thompson