ARMv8.1?

Re: Re: ARMv8.1? By: rickman to Bill McGarrity on Wed Apr 05 2017 19:43:11

ri> > -=> rickman wrote to All on 04-05-17 17:07 > US code for house wiring is 14 gauge for 15a circuits and 12 gauge for ri> 20a ri> > service. Distance is also a factor in determining both wire gauge and ri> > service amps (600ft for 14/3 [15a] and 800ft for 12/3 [20a]).

ri> You are talking about the wiring inside the walls. I'm talking about ri> the wire from the plug to the device.

I stand corrected...

--
Bill

Telnet: tequilamockingbirdonline.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bill McGarrity

Two and a quarter pounds of jam Weighs about a kilogramme.

Two mega pigs and half a ram Weighs about a gigagramme.

If centigrade confuses you, And, yes, it often might, nine fifths of C plus thirty-two Will give you Fahrenheit.

Can you wait for me to tell you what is two ohms? Half a mho ...

What is yellow and always points to the north? A magnetic banana.

Joking apart, any interest in the Raspberry Pi in this NG?

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

Clearly moulded plugs don't suffer from this problem.

Nope - A wireable Schuko plug comes apart into two sides not a top and bottom, like the seven pin plugs used for trailer wiring and wireable IEC plugs. This means that when pulling the plug out you are actually pushing the two parts together instead of pulling them apart.

Take a look at this page of wireable plugs and notice how few are built such that you tug on the cover to remove them.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Mary had a tin cow. She milked it with a spanner. The milk came out in shilling tins And small ones, for a tanner.

Now translate that into decimal currency using a Pi.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

also with the US,Euro style plugs users have the tendency to pull on the cord not the plug eventually damaging the cable which can easily become a fire hazard. also it is possible to dismantle the US 7(I Assume) the euro style plug whilst it is in situe something impossible with BS1363

I expect cable damage happens far more frequently to euro plugs than the top detaching from a correctly wired* BS1363 plug.

  • it is because of the number if idiots who incorrectly wired plugs that moulded plugs were mandated for all new equipment sold.
--
Q:	How many IBM 370's does it take to execute a job?
A:	Four, three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.

Not just mains plugs Date: 1975 appx. "Ere matye, you know about electrical stuff dointcha" Me: "Somewhat, yes" "Me Cortina battery goes flat overnight..." Me: "hmm have you done anything to the electrics recently?" "Yeah I fitted these air horns but they are wired up proper - trhey work just fine". Me: "I'll take a look...Mmm... the idea of the horn relay is not to connect it permanently across the battery, but to have it in series with the horn push, and then to wire the RELAY to the battery, and the switched contact to the horn, instead of the horn push itself..."

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Reply to

Most energy intensive handheld appliances now come with ground-fault plugs. The thing that scares me are power strips although they are also internally protected.

MG> Of course, 110v has a lot to answer for there: in the UK a 3kw heater MG> or power tool draws 12.5A, just under the 13A limit for standard plugs, MG> but a 3kw appliance will draw 27.25A in the USA - and its amps, not MG> volts, that melts or burns insulation off a cable.

In all honesty, I've never seen a heater or power tool run on 115v if it's anything larger that 2kW. Normally anything higher than that would be wired at a minimum of 208v but most likely, 230v.

--
Bill

Telnet: tequilamockingbirdonline.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bill McGarrity

I hear you, brother.

The nicest plug I've ever seen is on our toaster. The body has a large hole at right angles to the cord (the conductors run around the outside of the hole). It practially invites you to insert your finger, giving you a good solid grip to pull it out safely.

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Charlie Gibbs

His world and environment is perfect and only contains new items and he wouldn't do anything stupid. Therefore nobody else needs protecting. :-)

The UK plug design is 70+ years old and when it appeared many houses in the UK were just being wired. My parent's house was not wired till 1947 despite living in a large city. In those days you may only have 1 socket in a room and few items to plug in, the size of the plug was not an issue. Now we have many items and the size is an issue. However, unlike US and European plugs, you cannot easily pull a UK plug out of the socket by the cable removing a possible failure mode. The fused plug is to prevent cable issues to the device as the use of a ring main circuit means that circuit may be able to provide 30A.

Modern ELCB and RCD render some of the 70 year old concepts moot. But they were a royal pain in the arse when incandescent lamps were used. Normally a failing lamp filament going OC would trip out the whole consumer unit rather than just the circuit involved. I've seen this happen on several consumer units. The move to CFL and LED bulbs means when they fail, the whole house supply isn't dumped and I don't have to reboot and recover half a dozen computers.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Yes, but I don't think there are many of us :(

--
W J G
Reply to

Its also often possible to rewire your house to many standards -s IN S Africa, which I know well, you can have Swedish, German, UK sockets on the wall...in the same house! Where immigrants or returning expats have brought kit back with them!

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes but nobody seems to have anything to say about it.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Mary had a little dress 'Twas split right up the side And every time she wore that dress The men could see her thigh.

Mary had another dress 'Twas split right up the front ...

... she didn't wear that one very often

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

I don't know about the UK, but here the old appliances don't have ground pins. So protecting people with old equipment is not the issue.

I don't know what stupid things you want to do with your appliances. The ones I have make it pretty hard to do stupid things with, other than the fork in the toaster.

That is another smart thing the UK does. In the US circuits are typically 15 amps which can safely be carried over 16 gauge wire. So every device that plugs into an AC outlet uses 16 gauge wire even if it only draws less than an amp.

--

Rick C
Reply to

--
There?s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

-=> Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote to Bill McGarrity on 04-06-17 10:47 In all honesty, I've never seen a heater or power tool run on 115v

AAS> Come to the UK or Ireland, most building contractors use 110v AAS> power tools with big weatherproof plugs and sockets and a hefty AAS> transformer.

I would imagine they would. I did state heaters and tools less that 2kW though. They should be fine if using 12/3 and 20a breaker.

Another thing, why would contractors purchase equipment that doesn't operate on the country's standard voltage and also a frequency mismatch.

--
Bill

Telnet: tequilamockingbirdonline.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bill McGarrity

You are talking about the wiring inside the walls. I'm talking about the wire from the plug to the device.

--

Rick C
Reply to

One thing that really worried me when I was living there was the way cables to the more energy-intensive appliances heated up during normal use when laid out across a floor. That was something I wasn't used to feeling.

Of course, 110v has a lot to answer for there: in the UK a 3kw heater or power tool draws 12.5A, just under the 13A limit for standard plugs, but a 3kw appliance will draw 27.25A in the USA - and its amps, not volts, that melts or burns insulation off a cable.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 00:43:45 -0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie declaimed the following:

And in the US, that appliance will be using a 240V connection (two 120V circuits of opposite phase: +120, Neutral, -120, and earth ground [I'm using +/- for phase, since both are AC]). Regular wall sockets tend to be

15A, with the entire linked set on the circuit maxing out around 20A.
Dennis Lee Bieber

Yes, so marketing and user demand, rather than what was technically superior. Just look at the iPhone, for example.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson