ARMv8.1?

Yes. I though early sockets did not have them ..IIRC correctly the shuttering happened in the 70s

Howver wiki seems to say that the original 1947 standard specified shutters.

My memory seems to indicate that the shutters fitted to my earliest memory house in 1953 had shutters BUT that these often stuck open.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tell me about it: we've had much the same since EASA was let loose on us. Where formerly the annual inspection report was a single sheet checklist that got signed and stapled into the aircraft log book, now its a multi- page documentation package complete with a signed and sealed authorisation, issued by the owner, to carry out the inspection. In the 9 years since EASA take-on I've almost filled a box file with non-expiring documentation and, as a consequence, I now fully understand the old American joke about the documentation weight and new aircraft types.

and those with the engine-powered generators to run them ....

Good point. I'd guess bar in more recent types because metrication and because aircraft tyre pressures are often in bar, but I've never knowingly sat in the cockpit of anything with constant speed props.

The most complex cockpit I've ridden in was on one of those six seat Piper PA-32 Navaho variants. There were seven of us needing to ride and I got offered the right-hand seat. Fun. It had an auto-pilot but I don't remember anything about the engine management. Would it be usual to find constant speed props on a PA-31?

It seems likely that gliders will get some sort of exemption, along with older powered aircraft that don't have electrical systems. There's a lot of talk on r.a.s about what will count as the TABS-qualified position source. Current the best bet looks like being a Trig TT-21 or TT-22 transponder with the new TN-72 position source.

Same as NZ - ASI's read in knots and have zero at the bottom just like the UK and Europe.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Unsurprising: a nautical mile is 15% larger than a statute mile.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

All sorted out for me when I discovered, in a US recipe, that a US cup of rice weighs 95g. If you have one of these new-fangled digital kitchen scales thats useful to know.

That certainly makes a sensible serving per person, but one of my UK teacups is only a little more than half full with that weight of rice in it.

I've never driven a car that showed litres per km: my oldish Focus lets me select MPG or litres/100 km but that's it. L/100km is probably the more useful way of showing fuel consumption if you're used to it, but the car's guestimate of miles or km left in the tank can be even more useful.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

No but I'll bet it's BS - or at least in one.

-- Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun The computer obeys and wins. | licences available see You lose and Bill collects. |

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

It is.

its shoes.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

read it

Reply to
Andy Burns

I use large releasable cable ties, so the available cable length is just right and the rest (mostly) doesn't get in the way, or tangled.

Hatstand.

Reply to
Rob Morley

WRONG WRONG WRONG a pint is 20 floz (a US pint is 16 floz & a us floz is slightly larger than an imperial floz). I hate getting served a short measure every time I order a pint of beer in the USA!

The "Cup" for measurement was introduced by US cook Fanny Farmer, the actual capacity of the cup was never defined but the ratio between cups, jugs etc.. was. This enabled for easy scaling of recipes (simply use a bigger cup!). For purely convenience reasons the USA had defined the US Customary Cup but there is also the US Legal Cup (Christ they cant even keep to just one!) the Metric Cup & the Imperial Cup.

non of these can be called standards.

--
Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down.
Reply to

I do not know any without constant-speed propellers, and I have flown quite some.

There are 3 pairs of levers for the engines: throttles, propeller speed controls and mixture controls.

In more modern constructions (e.g. DA42NG), there are just power levers and the engine management handles the gory details.

--

-TV
Reply to

Also the benefit for education.

there was no need to explain number bases to children as they progressed to higher mathematics as they were already familiar with the concept through their pocket money. 12 penny's to the shilling, 20 schillings to the pound & any 5 5 year old could happily work with it (even if they were lucky to get more than tuppence ha'penny for pocket money :-) ) (that said I don't want to go back to pre decimal coinage)

--
You know you're a little fat if you have stretch marks on your car.
		-- Cyrus, Chicago Reader 1/22/82

And the standard that wins out is not necessarily the technologically better standard. Betamax was better, technologically speaking, than VHS.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick

Sadly? You sure about that?

 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick
(")_(")   the one I never tried before."  - Mae West
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's what the IEC C13/C14 plug and socket are for. Which UPSes use.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick
(")_(")   the one I never tried before."  - Mae West
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

No, the holes are too small for a British Standard child finger to enter.

The shutters are to protect against the insertion of foreign items that may conduct & operate automatically. Blanking plugs are considered by many to be unnecessary & possibly dangerous this is why no Socket Covers have BS approval for use in BS

1363 sockets!

The above claim that the BS1363 skt. is the safest in the world is not just a mater of opinion it is a widely accepted fact.

Screwdrivers may not fit but there are any number of conductive items that will, it has also not been unheard of for users to remove the earth pin rendering the connected equipment potentially dangerous, it is impossible to insert any item into a uk socket without inserting an earth pin first.

In fact child saftey was one of the primary design considerations when the BS1363 Plug was developed.

The NZ plug was developed in 1937, the BS1363 plug in 1947.

What they say:				What they mean:

A major technological breakthrough...	Back to the drawing board.
Developed after years of research	Discovered by pure accident.
Project behind original schedule due	We're working on something else.
	to unforseen difficulties
Designs are within allowable limits	We made it, stretching a point or
two.
Customer satisfaction is believed	So far behind schedule that
they'll be
	assured					grateful for anything at
all.
Close project coordination		We're gonna spread the blame,
campers!
Test results were extremely gratifying	It works, and boy, were we
surprised!
The design will be finalized...		We haven't started yet, but we've
got
						to say something.
The entire concept has been rejected	The guy who designed it quit.
We're moving forward with a fresh	We hired three new guys, and
they're
	approach				kicking it around.
A number of different approaches...	We don't know where we're going,
but
						we're moving.
Preliminary operational tests are	Blew up when we turned it on.
	inconclusive
Modifications are underway		We're starting over.
Reply to
alister

+1 (Provided it is the earth pin that activates the switch)
--
If little green men land in your back yard, hide any little green women
you've got in the house.

There are regulations to cover when that is permitted. amongst other requirements the device must be "Double Insulated" meaning that even if a fault develops it is impossible for any part of the casing to become live).

--
Let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
Reply to

I loved it, it was so quaint and esoteric. And then i looked forward to my first visit to England at the age of twelve -- and they had had the gall to go decimal shortly before. Oh, the disappointment. I still have and treasure some paperbacks that give the price in shillings and pence on their covers.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

Yep - looking at my Dutch extension leads (Schuko) the sockets have shutters under circular holes that are way too small to poke a finger in anyway. I can't get the shutters to move out of the way unless they're both pushed in together - which is very hard to do except when pushing a plug in. The socket is a deep recess so that by the time the pins are in the holes they cannot be touched. Also a dropped plug tends to land on its side not pins up. All in all a fair match for the safety features of the UK plug.

More importantly the UK plug has one hideously dangerous design flaw! The top (which is the bit you hold onto to pull it out) is attached to the base by a single screw into a plastic thread, if this fails it will most likely do so as you are pulling the plug out leaving all the exposed wires and that live fuse sticking up just waiting to catch a finger as you hit the switch next to it. I've had this happen twice (and avoided touching anything live) the first time I froze in horror for several seconds. Schuko plugs have two sides rather than a top and bottom which means you are not trying to pull them apart every time you unplug them.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

"The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from".