3rd world usage?

How would you use rPi in the 3rd-world without cheap broad-band and reliable electricity supply?

I've proven TextToSpeech with battery-power only: to listen to my fetched [via text http-fetcher] texts. It's good.

After setting the font-size and , with some difficulty, PAL-TV working is possible.

Inet is good via a 3G-dongle. Even working in X, with the 2nd-USB sacrificed for the 3G-dongle is possible, with mouse-based systems like `wily` & ETHOberon/ALO.

But I can't find how to email; especially how to escape the BAD need to use a browser for gmail.

?! I've just thought of trying `links` for gmail.

Thanks for helping.

Reply to
Unknown

To send email you need at a minimum a phone line, modem and someone somewhere at the far end with an internet connection.

Then you can do UUCP at least!

What connectivity do you think you might have?

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

install Mutt (non-graphical in terminal) to send to smtpserver and Fetchmail to connect to popserver.

Reply to
hda

I hear in Cambodia they have/had 'motorcycle internet'. Motorbike turns up once per week to remote village, drops off USB stick with incoming emails, picks up stick with outbound emails. More reliable and cheaper than the postal service. UUCP should cope with that just fine.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

colonel_hack

I somehow suspect that the number of roundtrips necessary for SMTP using IPoAC would make it slower than UUCPoM/c, but it sounds like a field in need of further study. Especially if someone else is paying travel expenses.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Screw that, use Mutt and OfflineIMAP. That way you're using IMAP and SMTP, keeping backup copies on the server side, but your mail still gets stored locally in maildir format.

Reply to
Jon Lane

What's fidonet like these days? Also, there are projects that turn comsumer wireless routers into a mesh. Hamnet is one.

Ron

Reply to
colonel_hack

--snip--

Thanks, I tried mutt a years or 2 ago. IIRC it can't: show me my last d/l dir of the server, so that I can mark which ones to get, and to delete, next-time I go on-line.

Like all the garbage today, it also want to be continually on line.

I vaguely remember that when I wanted to 'scroll the directory', it complained that it

Reply to
Unknown

This may be of use

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Jasen Betts