Yes rPi IS a substitute PC.

Last month my SCSI slipped off the power-supply on to my
x86-MotherBoard and everything stopped -- dead.
Since the MOBO is just lying on the table [a protection against the
local thieves, who prefer something in a nice box] it was easy to
check for physical damage and try to restart.
After all attempts at susbstituting a tested PSU failed, I accepted
that the MOBO was finished, and immediately turned to my rPi to finish
my pending jobs. That's when I realised the rPi *IS* a substitute PC;
especially for the tricky job that needed multiple visible Windows/Frames
plus coloring capability, via ALO replacing the x86-LEO [Linux-based
ETHOberon].... and wily: the magical emacs/ETHO substitute.
Since MOBOs with both IDE & SCSI, are no longer made I was worried about
the destroyed MOBO, and also wanted to KNOW, what killed it.
Is the SCSI case floating or grounded, so that it hit some 5V pin?
While investigating by substituting various old MOBO and PSU, the dead
MOBO woke-up-as-if-nothing-had-happened !!
Do I correctly remember reading that a 'poly-fuse' is activated, which
needs some time [hours] to recrystalise, for the device to recover?
But the MOBO is necessarily old, to have IDE, so is the self-healing
fuse technology also old?
==TIA.
Reply to
Unknown
usually grounded to reduce EMI
polyfuses were available in the 1980s reset time is typically a few seconds.
overvoltage can result in all sorts of wierdness in CMOS logic drvices.
--
umop apisdn
Reply to