Yellow Glue strikes again

is

glue

had

Sony had a problem with this glue on broadcast video recorders years ago. Their tech bulletin blamed "CHLOROPRENE GLUE". One current mfr data sheet shows a reduction in resistance from 10^13 to 10^8 after

500 hours at 100C. Unfortunately, the resistance just keeps dropping after that. +++++

Presumably equivalent degrading in something like 1000 hours at 80 degrees or 2000 at 60 degrees etc Would you have a URL for that , I can only find flattering product info out there

Reply to
N_Cook

probably

5-2.Stability of insulation resistance

Test Piece condition

  • [Comb-shaped electrode JIS Z3197] * [Conductor space 1.27mm] * [Measured after charging with 500 V for 1 min]

Results Initially 1.0 x 1013

1.0 x 1011 after 100°C 250 hrs 1.0 x 108 after 500 hrs

2.0 x 1012 after 40°C 90% 96 hrs

4.0 x 1011 after 250 hrs 3.0 x 1011 after 500 hrs

But nothing flagged-up about further degradation, a later page?

Reply to
N_Cook

I assume 90 percent is relative humidity. I'd like to see the tabulated accelerated aging effect after 500 hours at both 80 and 60 degree C and 90 percent RH

Reply to
N_Cook

I'm thinking that outgassing electrolytes from the Elytics also do a further degeneration of that glue. Seen some discoloring and very low impedance in the goop around some Elytics even in cases where the temp was not high...

Jorgen dj0du

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

"Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen" wrote in news:j4ctp7$tc1$ snipped-for-privacy@it-news01.desy.de:

should electrolytic caps BE outgassing under normal operation? I don't think so. maybe it enhances the glue's degradation after the cap begins to fail,making the problem worse,leading to charring of the PCB.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

At the hourly rates Americans charge it's cheaper to replace that stuff than to have it repaired.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

"spamtrap1888"

At the hourly rates Americans charge it's cheaper to replace that stuff than to have it repaired.

** Bullshit.
Reply to
Phil Allison

Perhaps, but where's the break even point on a $19.95 DVD player from Wal-Mart?

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Reply to

** The latest example seen of yellow glue damage is with a dB Tech line array box worth $4000 to replace.

Picking examples to suit your prejudices is f****it logic.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yet you continue to do it. If everything that needed repaired was worth, there would still be plenty of repair shops in the United States.

Michael A. Terrell

That depends on the warranty period. If it's a 90 day warranty, then the break point (or point where it breaks) is 91 days.

However, the original point is generally correct. It is often cheaper to replace than to repair. About 20 years ago, my rule of thumb was that customers are willing to pay 10-25% of the purchase price on repairs before they buy a new device. With $600 computers being the commodity price, I can charge between $60 and $150 for a repair before they begin to complain. At $75/hr, I can't even open the box and look inside for $60, but $150 might work for simple (software) repairs that I don't have to warranty. If new PC's were $3,000, I could make money, but not at commodity prices. This is not the road to riches.

Phil's $4000 whatever device is well worth repairing. However, if the replacement costs $19.95, forget about repairing.

I recently sent a laptop to China for motherboard repair. Unlike US repair shops, I did NOT have to remove the motherboard. Cost me $40 in shipping both ways, and $80 for parts and labor. Total time was about a month. I charged the customer $200. This should offer a clue where we're heading.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

A parallel example: A foreclosed-upon neighbor left a small amount of debris not worth taking. One item was a small wheelbarrow. It looked good except the tray seemed warped, and the tire needed air.

Try as I might, I could get the tubeless tire to seal to the rim. I ran across more problems, and found out the total cost to repair.

Inner tube solution for non-sealing tire: $9.99. (New wheel solution: $25.99)

Rusted axle (Nylon bearing wheel): 10 inches of 5/8 in CRS@ $8.50/36 inches.

Tray problem was caused by one handle being severely warped; the other was fine. Replacement handle: $15.

Cost to make "free" wheelbarrow useable: $34 Cost of identical wheelbarrow, brand-new: $36.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Jeff Liebermann"

** But out totally out of context and irrelevant.
** Many much cheaper items are also worth repairing for yellow glue damage and so is any SMPS that cannot easily and cheaply be replaced.

Both examples I gave involved powered speakers which are almost invariably part of a pair - lose one a couple of years after purchase and you need to replace both cos of model change overs.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Common problem. Remove tire. Clean the hell out of the bead with soap and water. Scrape the rust from the rim with sandpaper. Paint primter or use "rust reformer" to cover the bare metal. Cost $0.00.

Use 1/2" EMT instead. Shove a wooden dowel down the center for extra support. You'll be surprised at how strong it can be. Cost, about $1.00.

Find a large tea kettle or pressure cooker with a steam outlet. Steam the warped handle until the wood is soft. Bend to shape. Let cool slowly or it might crack. Total cost, $0.00.

Cost to do it my way: about $1.00.