yellow soup

Cut up a yellow onion and a Yukon Gold potato and maybe a stick of celery.

Saute in butter and light olive oil until potatoes are kinda soft,

15 minutes maybe.

Break up a small golden cauliflower by hand. Add cauliflower, 1/3 cup of yellow corn kernels, a little garlic, and a cup of dense homemade chicken broth. Add water as needed to cover; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or so.

Add a half cup or so of grated parmesan and/or cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup heavy cream, stir.

Season with sea salt, black pepper, Bell's, cayenne, tarragon, cheap sherry.

Remove a cup or so of cauliflower chunks and put the main lot into a food processor. Smush until almost smooth, add chunks back in.

This is good with toasted, buttered fingers of Ciabatta or herb slab and a golden wine.

John

Got to be good.

Had some good chicken soup last weekend. I got to make another batch of this bean soup.

Another favorite of mine is Green Bean soup. I loved my mothers so much I had to find how to make it. It?s a meal in itself, and it?s hard to stop eating it.

Cook 3 large peeled and cubed potatoes till soft with salt, 1/2 teas.

Add the potatoes and juice to a larger pot.

Add 2 cans of cut green beans and the juice.

Add some water.

After the pot begins to boil lightly add some flour and corn starch.

Fry 2 cut up strips of bacon slowly. After they are browned, add them to the pot, but keep the grease.

Add parsley and chives, and I always add Mrs. Dash with everything.

Combine some flour to the grease for a RU, brown and mix into pot.

After pot has been lightly boiling for ½ hour to ¾ hour, total, add 1 cup sour cream .

Mix and serve.

Reply to
GregS

eating it.

I love beans. I used to make classic New Orleans Red Beans and Rice, but the girls find that a bit too hearty for their tastes. So I tone it down a bit, using a mix of white beans, red kidneys, and borlottis or some such. And less sausage/hamhocks/bacon than I grew up on.

We have a little French restaurant down the hill that does a really good cassoulet, the classic French country bean casserole. I think the best meal I ever had was cassoulet with goose confit, in some small town in France. They force-feed the geese, use their livers for pate, and have all those goose parts left over.

Engineers usually like to cook.

Maybe Sloman will share a recipe with us.

John

this

o stop eating it.

This weekend is the 'boys' annual fishing expedition at Oneida Lake. I=92m always in charge of breakfast; the same dish is always demanded. It starts Friday night, as we play euchre and drink beer.

1 or 2 lbs of bacon is cooked for the fat One large sweet onion per person is sliced and then caramelized in the bacon fat. (This takes a few hours.) When the onions are almost done, sliced potatoes are added to the pan. One potato per person. This cooks for another hour and is then placed in the frig for the morning.

After early morning fishing the potatoes and onions are reheated and severed with eggs (any style), more bacon, toast (wheat or rye) and steaming cups of coffee..... I=92m drooling already.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

eating it.

That sounds almost as good as my fried grits.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Fried_Grits.JPG

John

I had a pretty good pizza this summer cooked over the camp fire real slow. Brought the big thick cookie sheet which helped a lot.

I like cooking up veggies over the fire in an iron skillet. Get that good caramelization going on.

Reply to
GregS

John Larkin Inscribed thus:

The addition of "Toulouse Sausage" makes it even nicer. ;-)

Mmmm, Yummy !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Le Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:40:51 -0700, John Larkin a écrit :

[..]

Sounds good although you get too much ingredients in your recipie for my taste M. Larkin.

BTW what is cheap sherry ?

A Saint Joseph may be for accompany this dish or at least a Crozes- Hermitage - Gevrey chambertin is a good choice too.

I have been said that Californian wines are not bad either.

Habib.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Just go to Safeway or your local equivalent and buy a bottle of the cheapest sherry (a kind of wine) that they have, Paul Masson or something. It's better and cheaper than "cooking sherry." It is alcoholic, but the alcohol mostly boils out.

There's lots of good, inexpensive California wines lately. But good French wine is fairly cheap here too... under $10 will get you either.

We like Bandit wines, a full liter in a plastic bag sort of thing, about $7 for a decent pinot grigio or merlot.

John

Here in the U.S., "sherry" is a rather generic term, but it's a protected designation in Spain and throughout the EU.

In general, "sherry" (or "sack" or "vino de Jerez") refers to a white grape wine which is fermented, and then fortified with brandy to increase the alcohol content.

"Cooking sherry" is a United States term for an inexpensive grape or rice wine which is intended for cooking use rather than drinking. It has usually had salt added to it, as a preservative.

As John suggests, buying an inexpensive sherry (or a similar fortified wine, not from the Jerez region), or just a bottle of decent but inexpensive grape wine, is preferable to buying "cooking sherry". It won't remain usable for as long after the bottle is opened due to the absense of added salt, but it'll probably result in a better-tasting dish and won't over-salt your food.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Platt

In Whittier, I can get a 1.75L bottle of Gran Legacy vodka for 8.99 + tax.

And isn't that the point? To get some alcohol into your system? %-}

Know the difference between a connoisseur and a wino?

The connoisseur takes the bottle out of the paper sack first. ;-p

Cheers! Rich

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Lately I'm into sipping Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year old rum. It does cost a bit more than the Gran Legacy stuff.

I've given some to three women who all hate rum, and they asked for more.

John

However, it wasn't more rum they asked for?

;-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

If it were not for Californian grape stock replenishing the disease-devastated French grape stock, France would have no wine industry today.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

--
More precisely, our rootstock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_French_Wine_Blight#Prize
Reply to
John Fields

Rum, when cooked, like all alcohol-based drinks, the alcohol evaporates, and you're left with the caramelized flavors. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Kind of reminds me of the family get-together when Dad died. My older brother Bill beckoned me, my younger brother Dan, Dan's kid Tony, and Bill's kid Bob to the garage and poured shots for everybody and said, "Here's to Dad." We drank the toast, and I said, "Man! That's good scotch!" Bill said, "That's because it's bourbon." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

To me, rum tastes kind of like cellar dirt.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In two cases out of three, it was just rum.

John

I think the root stock that saved France was from the native New England grapes, the Concord type grapes they still make the dreadful New York and Kosher wines from.

John