Solder like glue ?

Solder Glue = Cold Joint ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There are conductive glues out there, if that's what you mean. If they were comparable with solder in performance I think folk would be using them instead of sweating over lead-free solders.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

No. It's _experience_.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Yes. But it won't "be dried in few seconds".

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Again, same experience here. Cold joint. Solder bonds on a much more efficient level than glue.

That being said, it does exist. In those circuit fixing pens. Lose a pad, use some of that stuff in a non-critical app.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
sdeyoreo

When I studied electronics 20+ years ago, we were taught that a solder connection actually made a chemical bond between the two metallic surfaces, that it was comparable/similar to a melting and combining of the two metals, there was actually a change at the atomic level. Airplane/model glue used to do that to plastic, at least when I was a kid. A good solder glue would have to be able to do that, I'd think.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

"JR" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Bison Electro kit. Contains silver particles. Very expensive. Never tried it.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Isn't there a silver-bearing epoxy that's used for 'cold' electrical connections? (also for good thermal properties) I can't remember the name of it,it was mentioned on a LED forum

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

In article , Jim Yanik wrote: [...]

Google on: silver epoxy conductive

The stuff works quite well but costs like the dickens.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Jim Thompson wrote: [...]

Some of it is thixotropic so the PCB can have a little gentle handling after it is applied. This may solve the OPs problem even if it isn't what he really wants.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

That means solder which likes glue. When i squeeze the "solder glue" on the joint, it will be dried in few seconds and the components are fixed on the motherboard. Of course the "solder glue" is conductive.

Does this products exist ?

So that users do not need solder iron again and save one hand :)

I think it's quite useful and convenient, especially for electronics beginners / students.

Thanks very much for answer.

Reply to
JR

it's your opinion.

--
"Jim Thompson"
¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:ao67q0hvbr74j4i29c8880p45lu6j74jg8@4ax.com...
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
JR

Remember the Tektronix tube scopes? They used silver-on-ceramic terminal strips, that required a special solder because if you used "normal" tin/lead solder it would leach silver from the terminal strip somehow. The Tek scopes had little spools of silver-bearing solder inside that was appropriate for repairs.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Not quite correct. There is some alloying of the copper wire and the solder. In fact, there is an alloy of Ersin Multicore that is called SAVBIT that has some copper in the alloy, so to protect copper tips ("bits" in England) from being "eaten" away.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You could probably get it sufficiently cured(but not fully cured) faster by putting the workpiece in a warm enclosure,box with a Xmas lamp string inside. Here in sunny Florida,I just put it out in my car,gets to 140 deg in there on many days.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

snipped-for-privacy@trailing-edge.com (Tim Shoppa) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Ah,yes,the good ol' days... Nowdays,you can't even get TEK to include real schematics in their "service manuals".

And those ceramic strips were very handy in creating test load for switchers or for cal fixtures.Hot glue them down to a old CRT filter or the bottom of a metal box,and you're ready to assemble.I hated it when they were deleted from bench stock.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Exactly the same problem. The ceramic strrips had silver plated fillets for the components, and standard solder would leach away the silver, due to the alloying i mentioned. Using a silver-bearing solder (3% silver, if i remember corretly) prevented leaching, as the solder was already a eutectic (chemically "balanced" alloy).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Tom MacIntyre wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Solder forms a compound called an amalgam, where the copper of the wire is dissolved by the lead in the solder. The old model airplane glue was mostly tolulene, which dissolved the pieces of plastic, then evaporated. Neither causes a change at the atomic level.

--
Sooner dot boomer at gbronline dot com
Reply to

You could check out