Black Glue Peril

** Hi to all,

the dreaded " Yellow Glue" problem has been mentioned here a few times.

I have exactly the same problem, but the glue is now black instead - with a KRK 'Rokit 5" powered monitor - from China of course. Both PCBs are liberally covered in the stuff, more on the amplifier and PSU one.

Symptoms in my example were loud crackling and low volume - which recovered when I wound the AC back to 160V !!

Seems you have to get every bit of it off to effect repair. Along the way you will see corroded leads and PCB link wires - there is a 2.2kohm next to the filter caps that is buried in the glue and needs replacing.

This is worse than the Yellow Glue problem as it becomes conductive in areas that have no heat.

Could the black colouring be carbon ??

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Gareth Magennis"

** Very likely.

** Wot a bad idea.
** Does it simply dissolve the horrible stuff ?

What the KRKs use goes rock hard and has to be chipped of with *ridiculous* amounts of force.

I have been using a jeweller's screwdriver, hit repeatedly with a back end of a small shifting spanner.

Stone mason's stuff.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Gareth Magennis"

** It's the same horrible stuff - just black.

Time and a bit of heat turns it into rock.

** IEC inlets, rocker switches, XLRs and metal back panels are commonly black.

So it matches, when used to achieve an air seal around them, like in this case.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

dave

Ouch. That could be serious. If the conductive carbon particles remain suspended in solution, the goo will not be conductive because the space between the particles is filled with the non-conductive base glue. However, if the carbon particles are heavier than the glue, they might precipitate out of the colloidal solution, and settle to the bottom of the glue joint. The carbon particles might then overlap each other, producing a conductive layer. If the carbon particles are lighter than the glue, they could float to the surface and form a conductive layer on the surface. Much depends on how the goo was mixed and applied. If it hardens quickly, I don't think there will be a problem. If it hardens very slowly, expect trouble. If it was diluted with solvent, it probably produce conductive clumps of carbon.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Ouch. That could be serious. If the conductive carbon particles remain suspended in solution, the goo will not be conductive because the space between the particles is filled with the non-conductive base glue. However, if the carbon particles are heavier than the glue, they might precipitate out of the colloidal solution, and settle to the bottom of the glue joint. The carbon particles might then overlap each other, producing a conductive layer. If the carbon particles are lighter than the glue, they could float to the surface and form a conductive layer on the surface. Much depends on how the goo was mixed and applied. If it hardens quickly, I don't think there will be a problem. If it hardens very slowly, expect trouble. If it was diluted with solvent, it probably produce conductive clumps of carbon.

There may be other factors involved. This adhesive is typically found in powered speakers, which can undergo quite large temperature change cycles. This could regularly soften the glue, which might in turn cause cyclic migration or clumping of any free conductive particles therein.

But I'm not an adhesive expert, this is all just an interesting guess.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

"Arfa Daily"

** Servisol 160 is mixture of a few solvents including "naphtha" the magic ingredient in WD-40.

It is also highly flammable and toxic - so it must do the job ....

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"dave"

** Ok, Dave, I do see the link.

Is there a particular reason you posted that to me right now ?

Juts what do you think you are doing - Dave ??

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Pointing out that KRK was a good company until Gibson bought them. Their original monitors are quite good. In fact, they turned my head at the AES convention where they were debuted.

Reply to
dave

"I can feel my mind going, Dave. Thee is no question about it."

Reply to
William Sommerwerck