Will a European PS2 work in Brazil?

Hello all...

I was hoping to use my European PS2 (PAL) in Brazil (PAL M). Does anyone know if this works? And, if not, are there converters to make it work?

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
TerryMcDaniel

Probably not.

I'm pretty sure that there's nowhere in Europe that uses PAL - M. Most places use -B or -G. UK uses PAL -I

Specs are :-

PAL - I 625 lines // Channel Bandwidth 8MHz // Vision Bandwith

5.5MHz // Sound Carrier Spacing + 6MHz // Vision Mod Sense -ve // Sound Mod FM

PAL - B 625 lines // Channel Bandwidth 7MHz // Vision Bandwidth 5MHz // Sound Carrier Spacing + 5.5MHz // Vision Mod Sense -ve // Sound Mod FM

PAL -G/H 625 lines // Channel Bandwidth 8MHz // Vision Bandwidth 5MHz // Sound Carrier Spacing + 5.5MHz // Vision Mod Sense -ve // Sound Mod FM

PAL -M 525 lines // Channel Bandwidth 6MHz // Vision Bandwidth

4.2MHz // Sound Carrier Spacing + 4.5MHz // Vision Mod Sense -ve // Sound Mod FM

As you can see, the specs of -M are fairly different from the others in common use in Europe. Some modern TVs are multistandard in that they can handle both PAL and NTSC and in some cases SECAM also, but I'm not sure that there are any that can handle the differences in PAL standards. A modern TV designed for 525 line use in Brazil might lock a 625 vision signal, but you won't get any sound. Also, with the -M vision bandwidth limit of 4.2MHz, you probably wouldn't get any colour as the chroma subcarrier is usually up at about 4.5MHz ( 4.43361875 in the uk ) even if the decoder could handle 4.5 meg colour. You'd get sound of course if you were going straight in to the TV's audio in sockets in AV mode, but you still wouldn't get colour feeding into the composite video in socket. Can't remember if the PS2 is capable of RGB output, but if it is, and the TV is capable of accepting RGB, then you might get away with it. Bear in mind though, that the TV in Brazil is unlikely to have a SCART socket, as this means of connection is peculiar to Europe.

All in all, I would have thought that it was easier to just buy another PS2 out there. You probably wouldn't be able to play existing games or DVDs bought in Europe though.

Geoff

Reply to
Arfa Daily

NOPE. Get a new one locally.The video output standards are different.

--

JANA _____

I was hoping to use my European PS2 (PAL) in Brazil (PAL M). Does anyone know if this works? And, if not, are there converters to make it work?

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
JANA