Will this capacitor work?

Hi guys, the motor run capacitor for my rolling shutters tubular motor died. The cap case size is 35mm x 78mm and this is critical because it

capacitors and they all were at least 40mm diameter (too wide). Then I found a capacitor that is 25mm x 56.5mm. This is tiny and I'm thinking it must be too good to be true. Can you help me decide if this capacitor will run this motor? The printing on the original capacitor is:

Part Number C.87.7ZF2 MKP

320 V~ HPF N 560-8/A1 (In the USA voltage is 120 volts) (out of production for years, none available) And the data sheet for the prospective new little one:
Dallas
Reply to
Dallas

I do not see any reasonthat it would not work. It is a motor run capacitor. The uF is the same and the voltage rating is as high or higher (much higher in this case). While not really important in your cse, the temperature rating is 85 deg C. It would be better if it was over 100 deg C. That just usually indicates a bette capacitor, but not really needed in your case.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It looks ok, with one possible problem. The capacitor should be non-polarized.

aluminium electrolytic capacitors [4] with non solid electrolyte and therefore they are only applicable for the short motor starting time. I dunno about the "non solid electrolyte" since the capacitor in question is a "solid" polypropylene metallized film dielectric. Oh well.

I can't tell from the Farnell data sheet whether it's an NP cap. So, I found the original C87 series data sheet at: It doesn't specifically say non-polarized, but the lack of polarity markings and an "AC" voltage rating, indicates that it's probably NP. Yes, it should work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I'd like to pass some of your help ethic on to Phil. But I'm afraid it would take a massive dose, and end up harming your superpower! Luv you Jeff, Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx

The capacitor in question was listed as a motor RUN capacitor,not start.

The top of the data sheet says RUN so the non-polarized electrolyte part should not be in question.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yeah... I love this group. It's been years since I've been here and I'm super happy that it's still going and not wrecked by trolls.

Thanks guys!

--
Dallas
Reply to

?F

Do you have any photos of your rollup door? I'm wondering if it is the same make as my old 1970s vintage door on my midway rifle gallery game.

I've put a few pictures of my door motor here:

0

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Oops. I stand corrected. I wasn't paying attention to the differences between start and run capacitors.

Run vs. Starting Capacitor

In any case, the data sheet is the correct one for a run capacitor:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Yup, nearly identical. Same gears for the limit switches. (pain in the ass :- )

--
Dallas
Reply to

--