I have a fairly substantial Hacker Helmsman transistor radio made in 1970 and its audio board has failed. Repair does not seem practicable so I'm now going to replace the faulty board with an IC I've found in my inventory. I'm just wondering if it will be suitable, though. In particular I'm concerned about the line in the datasheet that says it's especially suitable for mains-powered applications. That seems to imply it's a current hog and will drain batteries in short order. This radio runs off batteries, although admittedly quite heafty ones: 8x 1.5V 'D' cells for 12V in total.
Here's the chip:
I'm sure there are better-suited ones out there, but I'd far sooner use one 'from stock' unless there's a compelling reason not to.
Observations from contributors north of the Tropic of Capricorn only, please. Thanks!