Adjusted focus, do I need to lock pots?

I've been able to improve the focus on my Sony CPD-G520 by carefully adjusting the pots on (what I think is) the flyback. I can get the picture quite nice and sharp, but it always seems to be off a little bit the next day. I'm wondering if I need to put something on the heads of those two adjustments to lock them in place once I find the best setting... or if there's another problem that's causing the focus to be inconsistent.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
JM

picture

There's another problem causing it to drift, it can be a bad flyback, a problem with the tube, or some other problem.

Reply to
James Sweet

next

James is probably right, but I'd lock it anyway (e.g. use nail polish lacquer), it won't hurt and would provide a definite answer your question.

Barry

Reply to
Baz

Yes you better glue them down they have been known especially late at night to turn themselves,they do that kind of thing.

Most probably the CRT is failing.

I'm wondering if I need to put something on the heads of those two

Reply to
kip

It is a common problem that the HV multiplier on the flyback assembly becomes defective, and starts to drift. The CRT is also another common problem in these monitors. Replacing the flyback assembly is the lowest cost approach, if it is only this assembly that is failing.

Your problem is not that the controls are moving. Something is drifting in specifications.

It is normal in many of these monitors that after about 4 to 6 years they start to fail. Repairs are generally expensive in relation to the replacement cost.

As for locking the controls, a little dab of nail polish should do the trick.

--

JANA
_____

"JM"  wrote in message
I've been able to improve the focus on my Sony CPD-G520 by carefully
adjusting the pots on (what I think is) the flyback.  I can get the picture
quite nice and sharp, but it always seems to be off a little bit the next
day.  I'm wondering if I need to put something on the heads of those two
adjustments to lock them in place once I find the best setting... or if
there's another problem that's causing the focus to be inconsistent.

Any thoughts?
Reply to
JANA

Hi...

Kidding aside, in the "olden" days, I used to often put a tiny dab of plain old nail polish on a control. Just a dot of it, covering a bit of the shaft...

This sort of locked it in place, yet was easily enough cracked if need be. And if it was inadvertantly moved, it was easy enough to put back precisely where it was by matching up the cracked sections of paint.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel