Why are the dishes like this?

I'm in Israel right now, staying in the Armenian quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem, and I noticed something odd, afaik, about a couple satellite dishes I see on a couple buildings.

The dishes are about 3 to 4 feet wide, iiac, and there is a rod across the front that holds an "antenna" in the focal point, I guess, of the concave dish.

But there are also 2 more antennas, one on the left of center and one on the right, about 8 to 10 inches away from center. All three are white boxes about 3 inches x 3 x 4. I can understand why they might need three antennas, but I don't see how 2 of them can be so far from the center. Maybe they're not using the other two, just storing them for when the center one breaks? ??

Reply to
mm

They are using three feedhorns to pick up three different satellites at the same time. This is a prime focus configuration, and a scaled down version of the 'Simulsat' concept.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I get it. Thanks. And in less than an hour from when i posted!

Reply to
mm

You're welcome.

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.